rear window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
hey all been reading posts about rear window problems and havent see one that i have. .while trying to put the window down with the key the glass will move about a quater of an inch and stop then i need someone to turn the key switch while i am pulling down on the glass the same goes for putting the window up . is there such thing as a weak window motor ? or does anyone think it is the barrels inside the motor that can be repaired with replacing them with the quick fix nut repair

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like either a weak motor, low voltage to the window due to corroded wire connections, or possibly the gear drive. Check the condition of the wiring connector on the left side rear cross member. If your truck is 80 - 87, it also has a connector behind the left tail light. those two connectors are the location of a lot of window problems.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
thanks for that info . one thing that is puzzeling me is how do i bypass the saftey switch and where is it located because i cannot get the window down all the way so the tailgate will go down to work on it . also my ford manual says there is a spring that is under pressure and it should be clamped . b4 working on the window . can anyone relate to this? thanks again

Krafty

Reaction score
if there was a problem with the safety switch I believe that your window wouldn't move at all. however with the window up you can get to it from the inside. if you want a permanent fix, take the tailgate cover off the inside. with a flash light if you can try to look up and locate the white plastic saftey switch near the release handle.. there are a couple of wires that run up in the middle of the tailgate. I believe the two for the switch are the only ones that run up on the very inside of the tailagte infront of the glass up to where the handle mechanisms are. All other wires run on the outside of the glass to the window motor. Once you find those wires, in an open easy to get to area ( incase you ***** up or change your mind someday) cut the two wires, strip and twist them together and seal them with either shrink wrap or electrical tape.

make sure they will not be in the way of the glass and test your window. if it was causing you problems they should be resolved.

now your window will move whenever you want it to. jusg be sure your tailgate is fully closed before raising it otherwise you run the risk of cracking or shattering your rear window.

Seabronc

Reaction score
After 82 the switch was moved to the left side latch. I agree with Krafty, the switch is not likely the problem if the window moves at all by using one of the tail gate switches. It is more likely the motor or the gear box which you can buy a replacement set for. Basically, if you are working from inside and removing the motor, you want to support the window so it doesn't fall down on your hand while removing the motor. If you can get the tail gate down, it is easier to work with it in that position. You can raise the window to get it out of the way by bypassing the safety switch and supporting the window so you don't accidentally put too much pressure on it and break the glass. I use a 2 ft. stepladder to support the window if I have it in the extended position to work inside the tail gate. If I am doing anything serious, I remove the window from the tail gate.

Good luck,

AdamDude04

Reaction score
When replacing the motor an other inside parts.. is it easy to do? I've taken thee back peice off an looked around an it looked pretty straight forward but I've never done it before.

Also, if you have window tint on that back window.. is the tint pretty much shot if you need to replace the motor or anything else in there?

Seabronc

Reaction score
When replacing the motor an other inside parts.. is it easy to do? I've taken thee back peice off an looked around an it looked pretty straight forward but I've never done it before.

Also, if you have window tint on that back window.. is the tint pretty much shot if you need to replace the motor or anything else in there?
You always ave the option of completely removing the window to do work inside the tail gate. It is actually pretty easy to do, just takes some care and patience so you don't wreck your window tint.

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23