My Bronco Will Not Go In Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjohnson

Reaction score
Hello, Here is some more info

I am having some problems with my transmission or so I think. My 88 Bronco xlt with an automatic transmission will back up but when I put it in drive it just revs up; it won't go forward in drive, 1st, or 2nd. When I put it in drive I think there is a change in the idle but I am not sure. I Changed the transmission fluid and replaced the filter. The Transmission fluid was really dark. There is no E4OD overdrive cancel button on the dash. Does anyone know if it could be the linkage or the transmission or something else? Please let me know what you think.

P.S. When I got it I removed the battery to wash the Engine and when I put back in if fried the fusible link on the starter switch. I repulsed the link and once more it fried it I then put in a new alternator and a new link once more if fried the link. I talked to the guy I got the Bronco from and he forgot to tell me the battery cables where not the right colors and the black was + and the red was -. Ya all that for nothing but could that have done something to the linkage or something.

~Thanks, Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

EB Bronco

Reaction score
I just had to change the linkage out on my Bronco. It had snapped at a grocery store just out of the blue. I only had forward gear though. If you have someone that can help you just have one crawl under the Bronco while the other goes through the gears on the shift column. This will at least check if the linkage is shifting the gears on the side of the transmission properly. If you can hear the idle change though as your going through the gears, I doubt if it is the linkage.

Roger

BLADE262US

Reaction score
How much fluid is in it and does it smell burnt ? Do you know if its an AOD or an E4OD ? E4OD has an overdrive cancel button on the dash in that yr.

OP
OP
T

tjohnson

Reaction score
I would like to thank you guys for your help on this. I am going to check out the linkage today. I would still like to know what you guys my think it mite be that I have not thought of yet.

Thanks Tom

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
You changed the fluid before or after the problem started?

Could be a number of issues, such as the valve body clogged with fiber from the bands or from dirt that got in when the fluid was changed.

I seriously hate changing the fluids in an automatic due to older trannys sensetivities with small particles of dirt.

But since the fluids were dark, my bet is that the forward bands are simply worn out.

OP
OP
T

tjohnson

Reaction score
I Changed the transmission fluid and replaced the filter after it stoped Driving. The Day it stoped I was pulling out of a paking space and when I put it in Drive it reved up for 2 or 3 secs. Then the next day I put it in drive and it ****** forward a little when I was reving it, then nothing.

Thanks Tom

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
Ahhh..

Seems to be time for at least a partial rebuild on it as the forward drive parts are most likely wasted.

Forward deffinately gets more use than reverse unless your nickname is Hooper ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One of my first cars was a 1970 stang with a 302 and a C4.

I had to get the tranny rebuilt twice due to band wear and breakage before it reached 90g in miles.

OP
OP
T

tjohnson

Reaction score
I looked at the linkage and it looked like it is working.

-Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23