Major pain in the A$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
OK first my bronco is a 1983 with a 302 carb. The carb is th original and that is what i am thinking is the problem. But here is what is happening. First of starting my truck and keeping it started is very hard. I have adjusted the idle regulator and it is as far back as it gets but yet it still idles too high in park and not high enought in drive or reverse. I have to literally drive with both feet and keep my foot on the gas and brake at teh same time when i am stopped while it's running. I can't think of anything else it ca be.

I also lose rpms and speed going up hills and this is not a little amount of speed either. When i start losing the speed i try to accelerate but it won't i have to floor it just to maintain speed. This happens on the litlest of hills too.

Any suggestions? I think i just need a new carb but if you guys know of any sensors or anything....

oh and that idle regulator i told you about. I think i am going to replace that first. I don't know f those are sold by autzone or not. i will check with them. But if you have anything else to add. i won't mind. Thanks in advance

oh yeah and that idle regulator obviously won't solve the losing speed and rpm problem i just thought i would add that.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Yeah, get a new carb. I've seen the 83 engine compartments. What a nightmare of hoses and wires!

Spray around some carb or break clean and see if the motor revs up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
isn't it supposed to NOT rev up? I am confused as to what that wil tell me. Can you expound please. Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Seabronc

Reaction score
My initial question is, what is the state of your vacuum system? I'm betting it is either mostly ripped out or full of holes and the various functions that it performes are failing, (Not all those functions are for emissions control). I'd also bet that the EGR is not functioning properly. An 83 engine can run just fine without the EGR function BUT the EGR valve must be totally closed and not stuck open by carbon. If you removed the carb, I'd bet you would find the tons of carbon in the EGR spacer plate as well as in the valve. What I'm starting to get at here is that If you want the 83 engine to run nice and smooth with plenty of power in reserve, you have some fun :D/ (serious, depending on how you view working on an engine) :D .

I don't know where you are, but I'm assuming you may have to pass some sort of emissions inspection. Also, I am assuming you want the truck to have reasonable cold start and run characteristics. My response is based on the above assumptions. I don't believe your problems on an old engine are the result of a single cause, but a combination of problems. Don't waste your money buying parts untill you have pretty much determined what parts are not functioning, then go ahead and spend it wisely :) .

OK first my bronco is a 1983 with a 302 carb. The carb is th original and that is what i am thinking is the problem. But here is what is happening. First of starting my truck and keeping it started is very hard. I have adjusted the idle regulator and it is as far back as it gets but yet it still idles too high in park and not high enought in drive or reverse. I have to literally drive with both feet and keep my foot on the gas and brake at teh same time when i am stopped while it's running. I can't think of anything else it ca be.
By idle regulator are you talking about the fast idle adjustment? If so, that has nothing to do with the the idle when in gear (curb idle), other than it needs to be set properlly first. Once fast idle has been set, then the curb idle needs to be set, (see procedure on the emission sticker). The problem here is that if the carb is in bad shape and/or you have vacuum leaks, there is no point in wasting your time on either adjustment. Also, an engine with automatic transmission needs to idle faster in neutral than a standard transmission with the clutch depressed. With curb idle set properly, (automatic transmission), the engine idles around 1200 to 1400 RPM when in neutral, (curb idle ending up around 600 to 650 RPM), while a sandard transmission engine is around 550 RPM with the clutch depressed). Those are not hard and fast numbers, just approximates, (some people like to idle a little faster and others a little slower).

The first thing I would do is get a new carb, not a rebuild kit. Rebuild kits don't address vacuum leaks caused by worn parts. Most likely there are clogged ports and channels in the carb causing the fuel metering to be at best poor.

I also lose rpms and speed going up hills and this is not a little amount of speed either. When i start losing the speed i try to accelerate but it won't i have to floor it just to maintain speed. This happens on the litlest of hills too.
Most likely carb and vacuum problems.

Any suggestions? I think i just need a new carb but if you guys know of any sensors or anything....oh and that idle regulator i told you about. I think i am going to replace that first. I don't know f those are sold by autzone or not. i will check with them. But if you have anything else to add. i won't mind. Thanks in advance
Now, getting back to your vacuum system in general. Every vacuum line has a specific function and not all of them are for controlling exhaust emissions. If you decide to remove some of it, here are some controls I would suggest that you leave because they do actually benefit you and Do Not mess with your engines ability to produce power.

A sample of my sticker attached, (color enhanced lines), followed by the diagram of what I have connected in my truck. You might note it is a sticker for an 85 Bronco, that is because the engine is from an 85 Bronco and I decided to use the 85 vacuum hookup.

1. Heat control valve function - Orange lines on your emissions sticker (Cold Start and Run characteristics -Allows the engine to run better when cold, it shuts off automatically when the engine temperature is up to around 125 degrees), ( especially desirable during winter in colder climates as it helps cold fuel vaporize before it is sucked into the combustion chamber). (Another note here: This is what used to be called a heat riser when it was controlled by a bi-metal spring. In a vacuum controlled system, it is called a "heat control valve" and it diverts exhaust gas into the intake manafold. It has two parts one on the exhaust and one on the intake manafold. Often the device on the intake manafold is stuck closed or open by carbon or the flapper is burned off completely and needs replacement, and the one on the exhaust may be burned off as well. That results in it never functioning or it is always feeding some exhaust into the intake manafold. Neihter case is good, the first causes poor cold start and run characteristics and the second causes poor worm/hot run characteristics. I'm saying take them off and check them for physical and functional problems.

2. Evaporative emissions function - Usually black (benefits you by keeping the gas tank presure even, especially from over pressurizing in the summer from expansion as the sun heats the air up). It also keeps evaporated fuel out of the atmosphere. Black is sometimes indiscriminately used for other functions as well.

3. The Air cleaner vacuum controls - Red (main vacuum direct), In the summer it does nothing but just allow fresh cold air in from the front scoop. When it is cold out it mixes in warm air as needed for better cold start and run characteristics based on the components installed in the vacuum line, (improved fuel vaporization when the engine is cold).

4. Ignition Vacuum advance - Yellow, need I say more :) .

Other vacuum lines shown on the enhanced color diagram are:

1. The throttle kicker system - Blue sometimes shown as dashed lines, I use it for adjusting the carb idle speed when the electric fan kicks on and momentarily lugs the engine down, (prevents stalling when setting in traffic at idle). The original use is for the same reason but when the A/C compressor kicks in.

2. Exhaust Gas Recycling - Green exhaust emissions (In later model Broncos, they use it take advantage of the cooling effect of this function on the combustion chamber gasses to allow the EEC controlled engines to be more agressive with timing, use lower octane fuel, and control knock). Also, White is mainly used as the EGR vacuum source which is different than main vacuum.

3. Thermactor (air pump) controlls - Pink, Also, used to controling the amount of oxygen in the exhaust to assist the CAT in burning off undesirable combustion byproducts plus it also controls the point and amount of air injected under different running conditions.

OK, that is my .02 on the subject, hope that helps. Sorry to have bla bla blabed so much but I couldn't help myself :blush: .

Good luck,

:)>-

isn't it supposed to NOT rev up? I am confused as to what that wil tell me. Can you expound please. Thanks!
This technique is used to expose vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak will **** in some of it in and cause the engine to speed up. I find that a controlled release of propane using a hose to direct it at specific points makes it easy to locate a vacuum leak. (Move the nozzle along a vacuum line, near vacuum components, around the base and pivot points of the carb, etc. and listen for the engine to increase in speed).

1985_Diagram_Color_Enhanced.jpg

Rosie.jpg

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
I went to the shop yesterday only because the guy I go to forgot to change my oil when I has it up there to that and some other system flushes. Anyway, I had him take a look at the carb and he did find a leak and fixed. As for the loss of Pwer wehn accelerating hard. He was telling me it could be caused by plugs and misfiring. i wasn't buying it but I had him do that anyway. He owed me a favor none of this cost me a penny, by the way. So we did that and adjusted the idle as we saw fit. That idle kicker you referred to above is what i use to adjust my curb idle. I know it's rigged. but it's all I have for now.

My question is this. On my carb there is a choke thermostat and choke pull off that are electric and vacuum operated respectively. My truck is choking out when i accelerate hard. and from what i am gathering this is caused by the choke plate being stuck shut as if it were cold. So i unplug the wire to this choke thermostat ( i think) an it works fine. If I get a new carb will all of these ather parts come with it or will those have to be paid for separately?

Another thing my friemd mentioned was a fuel pressure valve that is located on the bottom of the carb. There is a breat sticking out of the front of the carb towards the bottom and a hose with a plug is attached to it. but there is gas leaking from there. Does anyone know it's function?

Thanks guys, you save lives everyday. or no lifers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yardape

Reaction score
If this is the hose I'm thinking of, it shouldn't have fuel coming out of it. It is strickly a vaccum, nothing more. If it has fuel on it maybe your float bowl is leaking above it? Did you say its plugged off? I think it goes to the pcv valve on the valve cover. Its been so long since I had a carburated vehicle, but I think that is right.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto on Yardtape's comment. Gas comming out there means that too much gas is getting into the intake area and could be caused by several different things. Like I said before, if it is an old carb, I wouldn't waste my time playing around with it. It's more than likely needs parts that are deteriorated, but it's your truck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Oh yah, using the throttle kicker is not the proper way to adjust the curb idle. That should be adjusted after all the other adjustments and is supposed to be adjusted to raise the idle speed when the A/C comes on.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
is there another way to adjust wehere the throttle is positioned. the plate the kicker rests against has anothe one on the opposite side of a spindle and there is a piece of the carburetor sticking out with a ***** hole, but the ***** is broken off. is that teh proper way to position the throttle? Also using the throttle kicker, would i hinder the perfomrance of my truck?

Seabronc

Reaction score
What carb do you have? On most carbs the Curb Idle is right behind accelertor linkage.

Yardape

Reaction score
For emissions reasons they stopped putting the idle set ***** on carbs in the early '80s. So therefore you are not supposed to set the idle.

My advice for whatever its worth, put an after market carb on it. I'd grab a holly truck avenger, seemto be pretty good for offroading. You can pick up a 4bbl intake almost anywhere for a decent price.

Seabronc

Reaction score
For emissions reasons they stopped putting the idle set ***** on carbs in the early '80s. So therefore you are not supposed to set the idle.

My advice for whatever its worth, put an after market carb on it. I'd grab a holly truck avenger, seemto be pretty good for offroading. You can pick up a 4bbl intake almost anywhere for a decent price.
They did not stop putting the idle set screws on the carb. They stopped making the idle mixture adjustment available by sealing it after factory setting it. I have the adjustment procedures for all the carbs in the early to mid 80's. All of them have the procedure for cold idle, hot idle and throttle kicker adjustment.

Yardape

Reaction score
Seabronc, please do not take this as a sign of disrespect or that I have any desire to argue with you, I am just stating what I have learnt, and experienced in the past. I had a '79 Mustang Cobra in which I had an '83 5.0 **. My idle for some reason was way too low, I searched that dang carb for an adjustment ***** for the idle and could not find it. I took the car to school and had my mechanics teacher have a look and thats when he told me about that emissions crap that I stated earlier. He showed me that it is possible to set the idle, but not in the traditional way. You must adjust the idle speed with the TSP. Some have a saddle bracket adjusting ***** and some have a hex head at the rear of the TSP housing. If your carb has the idle ****** great, but some do not.

whitey

Reaction score
heck man i would recommend a new carb. too i know maybe that may not be in your budget right now but, it seems like it may be time. plus any kind of gas leaking anywhere out of a carb always scares the **** out of me.

when i was 18 in san antonio i used to carry a fire extinguisher around in my old 61 ranchero. i used to make a bunch of trips from 1604 and potranco out to the utsa area (when it was fondly called the "death loop") to visit my girlfriend. and get stranded out there all the time. because i was too poor and too stubborn to just buy a new one- even though after rebuilding it so many times i coulda bought like 10 of them... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Seabronc, please do not take this as a sign of disrespect or that I have any desire to argue with you, I am just stating what I have learnt, and experienced in the past. I had a '79 Mustang Cobra in which I had an '83 5.0 **. My idle for some reason was way too low, I searched that dang carb for an adjustment ***** for the idle and could not find it. I took the car to school and had my mechanics teacher have a look and thats when he told me about that emissions crap that I stated earlier. He showed me that it is possible to set the idle, but not in the traditional way. You must adjust the idle speed with the TSP. Some have a saddle bracket adjusting ***** and some have a hex head at the rear of the TSP housing. If your carb has the idle ****** great, but some do not.
Not to be argumenative either, but I've had the 5.0 and 5.8 carbs on my truck and they did or do have the adjustments and the adjustments are outlined in the service manual as well.

We are talking about two different things. One is the idle mixture which is the emissions setting, and the other is the mechanical idle. Mechanical idle has nothing to do with the emissions adjustment of the idle mixture *****.

There were several carbs in the 80's, allthe 5.0 and 5.8 engine carbs have mechanical idle adjustments for cold idle, curb idle (hot idle) and if it is there, the throttle kicker. So what I'm suggesting is that you didn't get a complete answer from your instructor. I have the Ford service manual setting right beside me and the 5.0 and 5.8 carbs have three adjustments as did my 4180 4bbl and 4160 4bbl, (the cold idle is hard to get at but it is on the passenger side under the choke(you can only see it when the carb is mounted by using a mirror, a royal PITA to get at nd adjust), the same is true for the 7200-VV). The curb idle is on the driver side near the rear of the carb, it has a spring around it and then there is the throtle kicker in front of the linkage. This is also true for the 4180 and (4160 which was never on any stock engine). The larger engines had the adjustments in a slightly different location. The YFA-1V which was on the smaller 4.9 engine was the only exception that I know of, cold idle was set via a ***** on the back of the linkage and curb idle is set via a TSP.

Again not arguing with you just stating fact :blink: .

Right ******* that is what I told him to do in the first place, but Big Country asked me for more information and that often sets me into verbal diarhea :blush: .

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
well here is the deal guys. my curb idle adjustment is broken. ***** is broken off. So yes a new carb is coming in time for time being. I am going to replace the part that is leaking gas (around $20) I am also going to replace the part that regulates how much the choke is open or closed at teh right temperature in the engine. If this makes my truck run 50% better than it is now that will be GREAT!!! If not I will have to wait two more weeks for a new carb. Thanks for all the info peeps. I will let you know how it all goes.

AK47

Reaction score
well here is the deal guys. my curb idle adjustment is broken. ***** is broken off. So yes a new carb is coming in time for time being. I am going to replace the part that is leaking gas (around $20) I am also going to replace the part that regulates how much the choke is open or closed at teh right temperature in the engine. If this makes my truck run 50% better than it is now that will be GREAT!!! If not I will have to wait two more weeks for a new carb. Thanks for all the info peeps. I will let you know how it all goes.
i used to have a 1984 that had that same problem with rough idle and lose of power uphill some things i did that gave me some more power but not much was tuning it up by changing the sparlk plugs, wires,the cap and rotor i also changed the fuel filter i took the carb off and cleaned it when i took it off i found that the fuel line wasent even all the way on where it connects to the carb and i also put a new exhaust on it this did the most improvement i would also suggest checking ur timing and changing ur air filter.

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
as far as plugs wires cap and rotor, those have all been changed recently. The exhaust is tru dual and there is an exhaust leak whre teh header meets. the problem is the u-bolt keeping it on is tackwelded to the nut keeping it tight. so i have to cut it off. fuel filter has been changed. the air filter is a k&n and is fairly new. I have not however, taken off the carb and cleaned. My mechanic is supposed to be doing that Friday and i wam going to watch him do everything. I do have gas leaking from some valve underneath the carb. so that is going to be changed too. I don't understand how no one has mentioned the electric choke would that not have anything to do with this. I honestly don't think the choke thermostat is regulating the opening and closing of the choke prperly. But I may be wrong. I don't want to have the carb pulled off and cleaned and that not be the problem. Iw ill see what's up and i guess the carb is the last thing it could be. thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula