ign off, key out, engine STILL cranks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm just plain ****** off. I haven't spun the engine in two months & tonight when I do it acts like it's got no fuel. A quick squirt of either and it fires right up and then dies. Do it again and it does the same thing like it's not getting any fuel. THEN the third time around when I try it without either it cranks and *won't stop*. Ignition is off, key is out and the freaking thing sits there cranking until I pull the battery cable. I had a 78' do this years ago & it was the ignition module. Unfortunately I don't have the factory engine manual yet so I just don't have a good troubleshooting or diagnostic guide.

bidibronco

Reaction score
I had seen this same thing on a big cheby truck and it was somethig on the starter or soloniod (spelling?) that was bridging it. Like when you hit it with a screwdriver or something. That's about the extent of my memory about it though.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Dave,

You know this stuff better than me.

Think the circuit through.

Three things are possibly involved.

A shorting switch at the column

a stuck closed starter relay switch

stuck starter solenoid.

My first guess would be the starter relay.

I would check for continuity accross the two big poles when there is no current going to it. I don't think there should be any. If there is... hit it with a hammer or can of beer, and recheck it. (I'd use a hammer and drink the beer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If it is stuck that might free it up.

TTYL

joe

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ahh, just came in from doing that. didn't help at all. Entertained the $hit outta my neighbors but didn't do jack as far as the truck goes.

Joe,

Yeah, I know. I'll work it thru tomorrow after I pick up all the empties. It just ****** me off because I haven't screwed around with any of that stuff & I hate failures like this that pop up out of the blue. I'll run thru it tomorrow & see what all Imay have inadvertantly messed with. As it is now I seem to have two seperate problems, ignition & fuel. I'm sure it's nothing that bouncing some aluminum off it can't fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Dave, you can quickly isolate the solenoid from the rest of the possible causes by pulling the red with black, (goes back to the key switch start position) wire off the solenoid. If that doesn't stop it, then the solenoid is stuck.

Good luck,

:)>-

barrett86

Reaction score
my bronco did it once and i found out that it was one of my wires (lil one's) coming off my SS, and it had a cut in it and it would touch metal and it caused it to do that. but it never did it again.

bidibronco

Reaction score
Heck with it, just put in a push button and you'll be good as gold! Just make sure you don't use the empty thinking that'll do for a button...

John Eversoll

Reaction score
Ok, now I'm just plain ****** off. I haven't spun the engine in two months & tonight when I do it acts like it's got no fuel. A quick squirt of either and it fires right up and then dies. Do it again and it does the same thing like it's not getting any fuel. THEN the third time around when I try it without either it cranks and *won't stop*. Ignition is off, key is out and the freaking thing sits there cranking until I pull the battery cable. I had a 78' do this years ago & it was the ignition module. Unfortunately I don't have the factory engine manual yet so I just don't have a good troubleshooting or diagnostic guide.
ok, i GOT THIS ONE FOR YA!!! i HAD THE DAME PROB,EM W.MY 55 MUSTANG

iT IS AS SIMPLE AS THE PIMPLE ON YOUR NOSE..

THE BENDIX.. IS FROZE UP

iT IS A VERY UNEASY FEELING WHEN YOU PULL THE KEY OUT AND THE MOTOR STILL TURNS OVER.

>

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23