hard to start and slugish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89purple horse

Reaction score
the purple horse is a 89 with a efi 351. when its cold it fires up just fine and ready to run. runs pretty good untill it warms up then it seems slugish i dont get no check engine light or anything. could that be egr? gas inlet tube off manifold broke during header swap and have not been able to replace it yet. the other thing is its hard to start when its hot it acts if the battery is weak but its only a month or 2 old. i am leaning towards its in timing some where but i am new at the tfi system can so one help someone help out a lost shade tree mechanic

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo PH!

Welcome to da ZONE!

Have charging & starting sys tested for Free at a local parts store.

I'd do a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)anyway, such as this by our good friend, BroncoJoe http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__p__74587entry74587

I run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse.

then; turn off all accesories/lights, etc.

Do KOEO portion first

For Key On Engine Running (KOER) portion, the engine has to be @ normal operating temp.

Posat any codes found here or look em up in my broncolinks.com site.

Check Timing;

Adjustment in Ford EFI Engines

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=71

Scroll down to; HOW TO CHECK AND SET TIMING

your SPOUT connector is @ Distr; such as here;

Spark Output (SPOUT) Connector Location pic @ distributor in an 88

Source: by Jem270 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/249442

tfi-spout-connectors.jpg

Of course there are more that could be tested; do that stuff first

GL!

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
quote name='miesk5' date='16 March 2010 - 07:06 AM' timestamp='1268744789' post='105724']

yo PH!

Welcome to da ZONE!

Have charging & starting sys tested for Free at a local parts store.

I'd do a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)anyway, such as this by our good friend, BroncoJoe http://broncozone.co...587entry74587

I run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse.

then; turn off all accesories/lights, etc.

Do KOEO portion first

For Key On Engine Running (KOER) portion, the engine has to be @ normal operating temp.

Posat any codes found here or look em up in my broncolinks.com site.

Check Timing;

Adjustment in Ford EFI Engines

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjec.../index.php?p=71

Scroll down to; HOW TO CHECK AND SET TIMING

your SPOUT connector is @ Distr; such as here;

Spark Output (SPOUT) Connector Location pic @ distributor in an 88

Source: by Jem270 at http://www.supermoto...ry/media/249442

tfi-spout-connectors.jpg

Of course there are more that could be tested; do that stuff first

GL!

thank you very much for your time miesk u were right i pulled the spout connector and re timed it and it ran like a champ for a couple days. and now i think i am having starter issues cause now if i go on long drives and shut it off it will barly turn it over (but runs awesome). i have read in some threads that maybe the headers r causing the starter to get to hot. can some one verify that for me ??

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, that's quite possible that the headers are overheating the starter. You can try putting a heat shield over the starter, or wrapping the headers. JSM84

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
Yes, that's quite possible that the headers are overheating the starter. You can try putting a heat shield over the starter, or wrapping the headers. JSM84
ok thanks for the info. i am out of work right now and times r kinda tight and the header wrap is pretty spendy but a buddy has some extra that would probly cover the starter think that would work?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Thanks for coming back to update!

Yes, you can use that wrap as well as anythAng else you can scrounge up around the house incl pieces of appliance case steel or ss; look at the cat converter's heat shield; same principle.

GL!

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
thank you very much for your time miesk u were right i pulled the spout connector and re timed it and it ran like a champ for a couple days. and now i think i am having starter issues cause now if i go on long drives and shut it off it will barly turn it over (but runs awesome). i have read in some threads that maybe the headers r causing the starter to get to hot. can some one verify that for me ??

One other thing to check is your ground cables. Mine had corrosion inside the cable from years of being on and as it got warmer it got harder to start. A new ground cable stopped it from a sluggish restart when it was hot.

Rick in Orlando

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score

One other thing to check is your ground cables. Mine had corrosion inside the cable from years of being on and as it got warmer it got harder to start. A new ground cable stopped it from a sluggish restart when it was hot.

Rick in Orlando

will do rick and miesk thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23