GAS IN MY BLOCK??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
My Bronco is an 86 with the 300 six and a 4 speed, My engine block keeps filling with gas.

A brief history, No smoking with engine running, I drained the oil the first time this happened two weeks ago and got 3 1/2 gallons of gas and oil out of my block. I replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt my carb, flushed the block 3 times with fresh oil and a new filter each time. I cleaned my plugs checked my timing and vac. both were good. She ran great for about 2 weeks then I lost oil pressure. I checked the oil to find the same thing as before full of gas and to thin to build presure.

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roadkill

Reaction score
I would check your new fuel pump. Just becuase it is new does not mean that it was well made. It's been 15 years since I owned a vehicle with a mechanical pump but that is the only thing I have every seen cause fuel in the crankcase of an otherwise normally running engine. I could be wrong on this. If I am, I'm sure someone will point it out shortly and welcome to BroncZone!

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I would check your new fuel pump. Just becuase it is new does not mean that it was well made. It's been 15 years since I owned a vehicle with a mechanical pump but that is the only thing I have every seen cause fuel in the crankcase of an otherwise normally running engine. I could be wrong on this. If I am, I'm sure someone will point it out shortly and welcome to BroncZone!
Thanks I'm actually new to the whole web thing and am still not sure if Im using this wright. I will pull the pump off tomorrow and check it. A friend told me to check the compression as well so I will post results of that. My other rig is an 86 f-150 4x4 that I have to drive for now, its ok,but its NOT A BRONCO!!!!!!!! Either that or my wifes chevy!Ha Ha

Seabronc

Reaction score
ditto on the fuel pump. Most likely the diaphragm is bad. I found the same thing when I did an oil change a couple of years ago and got about 10 quarts out of a 5 quart sump.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
ditto on the fuel pump. Most likely the diaphragm is bad. I found the same thing when I did an oil change a couple of years ago and got about 10 quarts out of a 5 quart sump.
Good luck,

Sorry for the lack of further input here guys had to go back to work and its way to cold to work on the truck after work. I have a three day weekend coming up so I will dig into it som more then. Just as a side note I talked to a guy that works at the parts place where I got my fuel pump and he said " It is what it is, Name brane or not it is still a rebuilt" . HMMMMMM I thought it was a NEW one.

Stubby1971

Reaction score
I ditched the mech fuel pump for an elect- It's an easy swap.- I just ran a toggle switch to the dash. Just make sure to get one that you can adjust the pressure on, or install a regulator

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I ditched the mech fuel pump for an elect- It's an easy swap.- I just ran a toggle switch to the dash. Just make sure to get one that you can adjust the pressure on, or install a regulator
I actually have a couple of other options Ive been kicking around, maybe fresh input would help???? Ive been wanting to take the 351w out of my 86-150 and put it in my bronco. The pickup has an auto trans though, The guys at bronco graveyard.com said it would be a straight forward swap and that the 351 would bolt up to the 4 speed currently in the bronco????? Either that or a guy I work with wants to trade my F-150 for an 84 bronc with a 351 already in it. both trucks are in about the same shape. All I really want is my 86 bronco back on the raod,I really miss her!

Yardape

Reaction score
That is correct it will bolt up. But you will need a flywheel for the 351 and the stabilizer bushing that sits in the end of the crankshaft.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
That is correct it will bolt up. But you will need a flywheel for the 351 and the stabilizer bushing that sits in the end of the crankshaft.
so I would have to get a new clutch and pressure plate as well? I guess I should anyway if its already going to be apart! Now if I was to use the auto and t-case from the 150, would I have to have my drivelines rebuilt? Or would the overall length of the auto and t-case be the same as the 4speed and t-case????

Yardape

Reaction score
I would use the t-case from the bronco, the f-150 uses a slip yoke into the transfer case and the bronco uses a ****** with the double cardan joint. As for the length issue I am unsure, As far as I know Bronco driveshafts are the same length from standard to auto but again I cannot confirm that. The best thing to do in that case is you pull out the old measuring tape. Manual trannies are usually shorter than auto's, but there is an adapter between the t-case and tranny, I have noticed that these vary in length so I would assume that is to make up for the differences in length

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I would use the t-case from the bronco, the f-150 uses a slip yoke into the transfer case and the bronco uses a ****** with the double cardan joint. As for the length issue I am unsure, As far as I know Bronco driveshafts are the same length from standard to auto but again I cannot confirm that. The best thing to do in that case is you pull out the old measuring tape. Manual trannies are usually shorter than auto's, but there is an adapter between the t-case and tranny, I have noticed that these vary in length so I would assume that is to make up for the differences in length
Thanks for the input, I'll have to measure it out this weekend. I'll let Y'All know what I find.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll have to measure it out this weekend. I'll let Y'All know what I find.
Well guys I went and looked at the bronc that my buddy wants to trade for my 150..........Done deal! Its not in bad shape Its an 84 xlt, 351w and an auto trans. I will be driving that as my daily till I can get away from work long enough to work on my 86 bronc ( the one with the block full of gas ) I will post pics of the 84 when I bring it home.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
OK guys I got to work on the beastie today. three taps on the gas peddle and she fired right up. The exhaust smells like raw gas and was getting lots of carbon out of the exhaust. Enough that it left a black smear on the side of the house????? Is it possible to be sucking gas into the block from an errant vacuum line???????? I think my carb is just wiped out and over gassing the intake is it possible???? I talked to an old ford guru and he tells me that if the carb is flooding the intake it will wash down the cylinder walls, good rings or not. My compression is 120 +/- 2pounds on all 6. Other than the gas in the block and raw fuel smell out the exhaust she sounds great, Though throttle reponse is slow. No rattles or knocks. Is it possible that she's just flooding out?????????? I wont get to work on her again until the 27th. I know I'm overthinking this............... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Yardape

Reaction score
Have you done an oil change since the new fuel pump?

*Oh nevermind, found it*

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I think I'm going to can the carb and try a different one. I can get a "runner" for 50 And see what happens. Can anyone think of something I might be missing here?????

Yardape

Reaction score
nope my guess sits with the diaphram in the fuel pump but you said that was changed.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
nope my guess sits with the diaphram in the fuel pump but you said that was changed.
Well I am going to pull the pump after work tomorrow, Its mechanical how do you even test it?????? I will, At the risk of looking like an idiot give you an example of how easy it is for me to overlook the obvious.......Remember my thread about the elusive Ford 351 H.O. and does it really exist? This is my F150 :-", This is my open hood on my 150 :-& #036; This is my 351 H.O. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Please keep in mind my pickup is bone stock... :-" :-" :-" :-"

Yardape

Reaction score
Sorry man I thought we were talking 'bout a Bronco. Cant help. LOL just kidding. If you say your pump is good I am wondering if something is going on inside your carb. I'm thinking maybe theres a gasket gone and gas is bleeding through and entering the crankcase. Other than that I am out of ideas. You didnt hook the fuel return line up to a vacuum by accident did you?

Seabronc

Reaction score
That is the same engine I have in mine. I don't have the lettering on the air filter any more since it was all corroded and I polished it up which removed the lettering. Mine is out of an 85.

100_3742a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23