GAS IN MY BLOCK??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
not so good with carbed motors anymore but is it possible to check fuel presure at the line from pump to carb inlet andalso wouldn't the jets and metering valve restrict the flow but like I said its been a long time since I played with a carb but I do know that Edelbrock carbs are garanteed to be bolt on and go no adjusting required or recomended and for the pump pull the mechanical pump ditch it and go electric only dont run with the togle switch idea if you leave it on you can you can ruin it or worse wire it to a the solenoid so it gets power only with the key on

and lastly you say that a friend will trade you a bronco for a F-150 is that a question do it then you will have a bronco to drive while you fix the other one and besides what better back up vehicle than another bronco

Seabronc

Reaction score
Right, don't just use a toggle switch. At least install an inertia switch to cut it off in the event of an accident. That is the whole purpose of inertia switches in a EFI system, it prevents the electric fuel pump from spraying gas all over after an accident. You probably should install a relay that is picked by the ignition being on and makes sure it is off when you shut the truck off.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Sorry man I thought we were talking 'bout a Bronco. Cant help. LOL just kidding. If you say your pump is good I am wondering if something is going on inside your carb. I'm thinking maybe theres a gasket gone and gas is bleeding through and entering the crankcase. Other than that I am out of ideas. You didnt hook the fuel return line up to a vacuum by accident did you?
Thats the truck that will possibly be sacrificing its engine to the Bronco gods. If it doesnt get traded for the 84xlt that my buddy has We have been talking about it for a month or so but he still has to get DMV on his bronco first. And yes we are still talkin' bout my bronco having "GAS" problems. LOL :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I'm going to pull the pump and carb tomorrow after work, I'm going to try hooking up an electric pump to the carb while its on the bench and see what happens at about 15psi. See if the floats and internals are working. Should work for the pump to I think. plug off the outlet, Hook the electric pump up to the inlet and see if gas comes out of where the arm is. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the ideas and help guys Very much appreciated.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
NOPE just the two, Shouldnt it have a return off the carb? This is a California truck so it has 6 times the vacum lines as a real bronc. Anyway I will pressure test tomorrow and post what I find. I miss my bronc, she's been down for almost two whole months and summer is fast approaching > >

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you use a pump that is designed for a carb, you don't need a return line. Holley makes a low pressure pump for converting carburated systems from mechanical to electrical pumps, the main thing is, don't use both. It might not be a bad idea to use one with a return line system, but then you would have to install a EFI tank with the appropriate fitting on the sender unit. Also the fuel pressure for a carb should be between 7 and 9 pounds unless it is a racing engine which due to it's operating characteristics requires a higher volume of fuel. You can install a fuel pressure gauge with a T fitting in line with the fuel filter. See picture of my engine above.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
OK I got some work done on it and will post the pics first thing in the morning, All I found was more questions........

So its the next morning......I started my Bronc and it started real wierd, It sounded like she was pinned wide open for a few seconds after she started. I shut her down and dug in, My findings.............The plugs have about 20 miles on them and they are BLACK not wet just carboned real bad. Just for laughs I pulled the EGR and found the plennum that it mounts to full of fuel also the pipe from the EGR to the exhaust manifold was full of fuel!!! Is'nt that pipe just a reburn route for exhaust gasses???? The intake looks wet but its not ( no raw fuel externally ) She is blowing PURE carbon out the exhaust, by that I mean a pure black powder that covers anything close to the exhaust. Its not WET its a DRY black powder.

I have worked on cars and equipment all my life, and my brain is telling me way to much fuel............Fuel is pulled from the carb to the cylinders by vacum. Am I on the right path with the carb or am I chasing my tail???

I need all the help I can get here, I have seen the members here figure out some wierd stuff, I need you guys, My local FORD dealer looked at me like I was smoking dope. A carb is expensive to replace if not the cause. Here are some pics of what I found.

gas.jpg

gas2.jpg

gas3.jpg

gas4.jpg

gas6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wtfdissux

Reaction score
not sure if I said yet or if you mentioned it but fuel presure reg if fuel injected or stuck float if carbed?

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Its a YFB model one barrel carb. I pulled the overflow tube off with it running and got nothing. Also I pressurized the carb through the fuel line to 10psi ( not running ) and it held the press. so I am assuming the float is working properly. The fuel gets into the intake through the jets in the bottom of the bowl right??? Could whats in the bowl be draining into the manifold and on into the block after I shut it off?????? A cheapo rebuilt at Kragen is still over 200 bucks, Not really a lot but I just dont have it right now if the carb isnt the problem.................

wtfdissux

Reaction score
My carb knowledge is limited but thats where I think the fault may lie if not the float then some other part of fuel delivery is either dumping excess fuel or is leaking down while off have you tried calling around to bone yards if you get one there it may cost alot less and if it works then either rebuild yours or pony up for a re-built

how about the fuel pressure have you mesured the pressure and volume of flow to the carb and if yours has a hose somewhere between the pump and carb maybe find a way to restrict flow to see what happens

also is it one a few or all plugs that are fouling out?

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
All the plugs are getting wiped out. Literally within minutes. I havent checked the line pressure yet, good idea, I will and let you know what I find. My next day off is sunday but i get three off. I do have a yard in Battle Mountain I'll see what kind of price I can get from them for a "runner" Thanks Again for the help guys if you can think of anything else I should check please let me know I really want my bronc back.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Hey guys!!!!! I did a drip test on my carb and it failed miserably, A guy at work told me to do this. Filled the bowl of the carb and put on a stand over a pie plate overnight, next morning bowl of carb should still be full and plate dry............the bowl on mine was empty in less than 12 hours. Still not sure why or how but my carb is leaking bad internally, can only imagine what its doing when she's running. I get my new carb next week.

OP
OP
Mike @ Tracy

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I told you I could'nt get my brain around it!! LOL :-" :-" I still dont understand?? To me if the float is working then the carb is working. So heres the F!@#$%^ part, My Bronco has been down since Jan. because of a trashed carb??? SHEEEEEEESSSSHHHHHH Where did I park my JEEP............................................OK so that wasnt funny Sorry!

Besides it was only a day ago, ( I only count days off )

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls