Floor Shifter_ Duff Vs Wildhorse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrdirt_rider

Reaction score
I am in the process of just starting a cleanup/restoration of a 72 rust bucket. Has a rebuilt motor with only 1000 miles on it. The three on the tree is very loose and locks up sometimes. Want to go to a floor shifter. Have drove a couple brocos with the conversion, but it seems that they put the shifter right next to your leg, as in touching. Does one brand have more clearance than the other? Would it be possible to put a little bend in the lever to get more room? I am thinking that a machine shop would have to do this with a press to minimize the damage to the chrome on a new lever. Appreciate any help.

Also, bronco is supposed to have a new clutch, throwout bearing, and a resurfaced flywheel. But when you let out the clutch, it grabs and lurches like I was a teenager driving my first stickshift. Also can smell some clutch burning. Any ideas for cause or solution?

Thanks to the other horse heads!

Flash69

Reaction score
I dont know about the wild horses shifter,but i put the duff in mine it is already bent to clear your leg.I like where mine sits,it is close but not in the way.shifts real nice.not hard to put in.Hope this helps.

J

Josh

I have the duffs kit alos it is very nice and doesnt touch my leg at all. The hardest part of the install was tightening up all the bolts cause you have like an inch to move your wrench.

texar72broncoboy

Reaction score
i have the horses but u should get the one that is up under the dash because the others get in the way but the under dash doesnt it comes out under the dash and the shifter comes up to you its much better.

J

jim

I've got the duff kit and its all that it claims. With that said I wish I'd put in a automatic.

Reaction score
The reason your Bronco bucks when you release the clutch is because it is one of those 3-finger type pressure plates. You need a good diaphram type, like a Zoom or Center Force. While you are at it, see if you can work your budget to add a new tranny. The original 3 speed may not have many more miles or trails in it, due to age, wear/tear and abuse caused by your 3 finger clutch. Many Bronco parts places have the NP 435 swap, with adapter, tunnel cover, clutch parts, etc, for under $1,500. I mean, as long as you're pulling the tranny to fix the clutch... also, don't forget to install a new pilot bushing or bearing when you pull the flywheel down to surface it. Have fun, and take pictures! I did it, and have the pitures!

69Lover

Reaction score
I am in the process of just starting a cleanup/restoration of a 72 rust bucket. Has a rebuilt motor with only 1000 miles on it. The three on the tree is very loose and locks up sometimes. Want to go to a floor shifter. Have drove a couple brocos with the conversion, but it seems that they put the shifter right next to your leg, as in touching. Does one brand have more clearance than the other? Would it be possible to put a little bend in the lever to get more room? I am thinking that a machine shop would have to do this with a press to minimize the damage to the chrome on a new lever. Appreciate any help.

Also, bronco is supposed to have a new clutch, throwout bearing, and a resurfaced flywheel. But when you let out the clutch, it grabs and lurches like I was a teenager driving my first stickshift. Also can smell some clutch burning. Any ideas for cause or solution?

xrdirt_rider, did this conversion in 87 on my 69 with a Hurst kit. I have since moved on to a different setup. I will say that it never interfered with the ability to drive the vehicle. I have that shift kit that I had on the standard three speed for sale currently.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

The clutch is burning(slipping) buy the smell your getting. Adjust it . Buy the grabbing. It sounds like it might be partly driver The burning is buy letting the clutch slip (the smell) The grabbibg is when the clutch is let out too fast.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The clutch is burning(slipping) buy the smell your getting. Adjust it . Buy the grabbing. It sounds like it might be partly driver The burning is buy letting the clutch slip (the smell) The grabbibg is when the clutch is let out too fast.
The clutch should start taking hold at about 2 1/2----3 inches from the floor. . If its farther . It needs adjusted

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23