Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
Well I know where their was a early bronco. I,ll try and go back soon and still see if its their. Brush was growing up good then and I barely saw it with binoculars. Also found a dozer like that one day.
I found one on a back road but the guy won't sell it and it is going to waste

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I found one on a back road but the guy won't sell it and it is going to waste
You,d be surprised what is in and behind old buildings you pass all the time. Binoculars come in handy too. Getting a better view of a distance that you can,t see 300 yards away.

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
In order for the clutch to work. It has to be pushed BACKWARDS--TOWARD THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE. The way the picture shows. Its being STABLED--CAN,T BE PUSHED OR PULLED----------BUT I think this is your motor. Now IF the BACK plate------- WAS placed forward----ACCROSS ---FROM THE BALL--IN THE FRAME AREA---YOU HAVE IT.
That is a pull cylinder in that photo. If it wasn't for the oring setup that close to the headers and the junk reviews this would have worked great

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That is a pull cylinder in that photo. If it wasn't for the oring setup that close to the headers and the junk reviews this would have worked great
Well from what I saw of it. The back and front didnn,t have any place to put a rod. Have you looked between your header pipe and see if you can get the clutch pivot through,?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes, my mock up worked well on the engine side, need to extend the outer end to align with the pedal assembly
Well hold on. I have taken some pictures of mine and I believe you will see what I mean. I,ll try loading them up now

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
The pivot is offset and with the standard OEM frame bracket interfered with the shock tower. The tube on the pivot proved to be too long so I cut three inches off of it to clear the shock tower. Former HT/DV so welding and fab work are right up my alley. Once I have finish pai t on the engine co m patient I will put the body back on to align everything including the pivot assembly

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hears is the bottom view of the clutch pivot on my bronco. About any one you see will be like this--set up.

Attachments

• clutch pivot assembly hooked up--78 bronco.jpg
    clutch pivot assembly hooked up--78 bronco.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4

johnnyreb

Reaction score
the rod on the RIGHT--GOES INSIDE THE CAB and hooks to the clutch pedal. --The rod with the bolt ON THE LEFT goes to the clutch. Now my pivot holder on the LEFT is mounted on the hogshead--some are mounted on the side of the motor. On the right side, It goes to the brace .--Mine is on TOP of the frame.

Attachments

• underneither looking up at the clutch pivot-78 bronco.jpg
    underneither looking up at the clutch pivot-78 bronco.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 3

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The pivot is offset and with the standard OEM frame bracket interfered with the shock tower. The tube on the pivot proved to be too long so I cut three inches off of it to clear the shock tower. Former HT/DV so welding and fab work are right up my alley. Once I have finish pai t on the engine co m patient I will put the body back on to align everything including the pivot assembly
Now BEFORE you cut any off the pivot . Make sure the arms on the pivot are in the same position Before you cut it. --To when you weld it back on.

chrlsful

Reaction score
any kit still has to B adapted (to their way of engineering) and is expensive. I have so many comments on this install I cant concieve how to enter them (several pages w/my kybd skills, hand arthritis, learning disabilities, etc) so will send U something of a "hi points".

A different transmish is suggested (NV3550), I no "Too late" extensive research all ways indicated in pre-project mods;
A 'typical bronk vendor' bell housing 'hang off bolt' was used at this member;s shop (C sig below);
A Ranger hyd clutch ***** will fit in the fsb bell;
A 4500 is used for very heavy (diesel) apps, needs DS changes and is often chosen (my consideration) for the 2 PTOs & possibility (also e-brake) or is that the ZF? another operated on hydro clutch (yeah, think so, sorry).
Last. many have done this mod on CB. There is a prts list and tech write up over there formed as a 'sticky'~
HTH

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
I was going to do it until I found the reviews for the Wilwood equipment. It isn't as hard as one would think, but I have been fabricating for a few decades.