Factory AM/FM cassette conversion...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
Ive decided I like the original two post AM/FM cassette player. The radio part works fine (barring presets) and for the life of me I cant get the cassette player to stop auto ejecting cassettes, but theres warbly, scratchy sound when I push it in far enough so I guess thats a good sign.

Anyways, I've decided to embark on a new mission...Operation cassette to aux input!!! Ive googled and searched and researched and maaaaaybe sacrificed one factory deck already in the pursuit of conversion, and it seems feasible. Looks like if I cut the 3 wires going to the cassette play head I can instead connect them to a 3.5mm aux cord. I'm thinking I'll still need a dummy cassette to push in and fool the deck into thinking theres a tape in there to play though. (in my case I'll have to disconnect the proper spring/s since my auto eject keeps spitting tapes out at me).

I just want the look of the factory radio with the ability to have bluetooth (I'll use an adapter with the aux cord) without spending $500+. Has anyone done this or anything like it before with success, or am I just talking crazy?

OP
OP
W

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
Update: It works!! Connected the 3.5mm aux cable (female end) to the 3 wires coming off the cassette player play head (direct color match) and removed 3 springs. Then hooked up my phone to the aux cable, pushed the tape shell in VIOLA!! Music actually played!! There was a bit of static though so Im gonna go back in and solder the connections directly to the board to see if that'll fix it.

I did take some pictures of the process. Once I get the static issue worked out if anyone's interested I can post up the pics and process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22