Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Lol, that would be me. I had to shorten the tubing by 3" so it would not interfere with my shock towers. Slight mis calculation on my part of the stock clutch would have already been installed
We all make them. Only some won,t admit it. Its looking very good. You close to Brown City?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
We all make them. Only some won,t admit it. Its looking very good. You close to Brown City?
When I put the 390 down in mine. I used a regular single exhaust pipe and had to bend the bottom of the pipe a little. I had a friend take some regular pipe in different sections and ***** them together on a 352. He made himself a buggy. It was about 5 feet long. Had International wheels with big tires on it. A Chevrolet steering column. That thing would fly,but so light with the speed. It was hard to get stopped. It wanted to slid.hahaha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Locate the ball--where the clutch pivot attaches too-----------now locate the brace loaction on the frame (set the brace on it. Now try and get a picture (s) to where hopefully it will show a straight view .Fom the brace to the ball on the block--if you can. Your on the right track now.

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
Well since the last pictures are your set up. You can see the clutch pivot--brace where it goes. I can,nt see if their is any space between the header pipe. To where the clutch pivot could go through. Now IF IT CAN--AND BOLT TO THE BLOCK WITH THE PIVOT BALL--YOUR IN LUCK.
Plenty of room on the headers, not any room toward the outside frame rail. I overbuilt the shock towers and am now paying the price. I know what needs.to happen to set the stock piece in play, just some more cutting welding and grinding, lol

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
When I put the 390 down in mine. I used a regular single exhaust pipe and had to bend the bottom of the pipe a little. I had a friend take some regular pipe in different sections and ***** them together on a 352. He made himself a buggy. It was about 5 feet long. Had International wheels with big tires on it. A Chevrolet steering column. That thing would fly,but so light with the speed. It was hard to get stopped. It wanted to slid.hahaha
About an hour from Brown City

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Plenty of room on the headers, not any room toward the outside frame rail. I overbuilt the shock towers and am now paying the price. I know what needs.to happen to set the stock piece in play, just some more cutting welding and grinding, lol
Well instead of cutting and welding. What you might do to get clearance to get the clutch pivot through. Is get a good piece of pipe and use it to make room. Like put the pipe in and hit the pipe up or down.So the pivot will go through.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well instead of cutting and welding. What you might do to get clearance to get the clutch pivot through. Is get a good piece of pipe and use it to make room. Like put the pipe in and hit the pipe up or down.So the pivot will go through.
I have some of those old Thrush side pipes. I have been thinking about putting a set on one bronco. With straight pipes inside of them . Run a pipe from the manifold pipe to the side pipes. Should be able to hear it a mile away. hahahha

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
I have some of those old Thrush side pipes. I have been thinking about putting a set on one bronco. With straight pipes inside of them . Run a pipe from the manifold pipe to the side pipes. Should be able to hear it a mile away. hahahha
My buddy wants to put cutouts on thos so I can run open from time to time

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The outside brace for the clutch pivot. Should go ON TOP of the frame. Yours has the holes for it. If you don,t have the brace, You can make one realm easy. Also you might want to get stainless steel bolts and taps and a lock washer,Tighten them good.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
My buddy wants to put cutouts on thos so I can run open from time to time
I have one of those I bought off of J C Whitney along time ago and its cable operated from inside the vehicle. I forgot all about it.Until you mentioned them.hahaha I have a clutch fork. If you might need it. You,ll have to send me the measuerments and I,ll check mine. I ordered it for a 78. It might be the same as a 69. I don,t know.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now when you put the outside brace--across from the clutch pivot----the outside brace MIGHT NEED a littke work on it, To be abl to sit on the original place,.....Now put the CLUTCH ADJUSTING ROD IN PLACE and see how nuch---IF ANY angle it has. If none--GOOD, iF IT DOES .. The part that hooks in the brace. Might need to be heated and bent a little. . After you have EVERYTHING HOOKED UP AND TIGHTENED DOWN. PUSH DOWN AND WATCH IT . How does it feel? Remember to try and get it all as level as you can and hopefully the clutch rod as straight as you can.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now when you put the outside brace--across from the clutch pivot----the outside brace MIGHT NEED a littke work on it, To be abl to sit on the original place,.....Now put the CLUTCH ADJUSTING ROD IN PLACE and see how nuch---IF ANY angle it has. If none--GOOD, iF IT DOES .. The part that hooks in the brace. Might need to be heated and bent a little. . After you have EVERYTHING HOOKED UP AND TIGHTENED DOWN. PUSH DOWN AND WATCH IT . How does it feel? Remember to try and get it all as level as you can and hopefully the clutch rod as straight as you can.
Also while you have everything apart-----over time. Sometimes the weld on the pivot might crack and should be look at. To save you troubles on down the road.

OP
OP

69Lover

Reaction score
I have one of those I bought off of J C Whitney along time ago and its cable operated from inside the vehicle. I forgot all about it.Until you mentioned them.hahaha I have a clutch fork. If you might need it. You,ll have to send me the measuerments and I,ll check mine. I ordered it for a 78. It might be the same as a 69. I don,t know.
I have everything I need and more to fab the equalizer. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have it cut and a proto built already. But I am fickle and didn't like how it looked, lol. I will post a pic once I am done with the final rendition. Appreciate the advice!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have everything I need and more to fab the equalizer. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have it cut and a proto built already. But I am fickle and didn't like how it looked, lol. I will post a pic once I am done with the final rendition. Appreciate the advice!
Well nothing wrong being fickle--you just want it looking good and done right.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well nothing wrong being fickle--you just want it looking good and done right.
Thank you for serving our country too. I appreciate it ALOT. Those who never served. Have no idea what we went through (or going through) to protect our FREEDOM.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The outside brace for the clutch pivot. Should go ON TOP of the frame. Yours has the holes for it. If you don,t have the brace, You can make one realm easy. Also you might want to get stainless steel bolts and taps and a lock washer,Tighten them good.
The bad thing about the earlie bronco,s. Is the inner fenders you can,nt remove. The good thing about the newer--78 on up you can and sometimes it makes things alot easier. Unless you done some fabrication on the older inner fenders. If I had a older bronco--after working on mine. I,d make the older inner fender to where I could. All a person would have to do is add a wider piece of metal plate===say 4 inchecs wide and cut the inner fenders down all the way. Then when you wanted to put the inner fenders back on. Bolt or weld one side back on. I don,t see why Ford didn,t do it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
It was rushed quickly for competition to Jeep, and the up and coming K5
Well I know where their was a early bronco. I,ll try and go back soon and still see if its their. Brush was growing up good then and I barely saw it with binoculars. Also found a dozer like that one day.