Engine Running rough..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Does anybody know what the 0 degerease mark looks like on the bronco?

Im confused because it has a big mark on the the pulley that is a factory groove in the pulley. Then, their is also 2 other marks on the pulley that someone painted on? When I found the cylinder 1 compression stroke it was on one of the marks that someone painted on the pulley?

Im confused!!

Can someone explain?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the 0 degerease mark looks like on the bronco?
Im confused because it has a big mark on the the pulley that is a factory groove in the pulley. Then, their is also 2 other marks on the pulley that someone painted on? When I found the cylinder 1 compression stroke it was on one of the marks that someone painted on the pulley?

Im confused!!

Can someone explain?

take a look @ Ryan's pic and info here; see the groove on left side of da pulley?

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=71

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I see it.. Im thinkin mine turned or something or its old and doesnt show tdc on the groove anymore.

Will the truck not start if I dont remove the plug on the dist to start it initialy?
the SPOUT needs to be pulled to time it; it should be in to start.

bobstrat

Reaction score
Thats Exactly what happens to mine... I wonder what that could be?
do you have the e4od transmission? if so torque converter lockup is controlled by the computer. there should be a large electrical connector on the passenger side of the tranny. unbolt and unplug. do not drive the truck like this just put it in reverse and see if it stalls. if it doesnt the problem is with the electrical unit in the tranny.

Zeuster

Reaction score
If the person that had this truck said it was fine until he had it tuned up by a shop, There is no reason to pull the distributor for a tune up. Sounds to me like they switched one of the wires or you have a bad cylinder. Check firing order to make sure the wires are correct. Or like the one of the other members said also can be a bad wire. Hope this helps..

pinson27

Reaction score
My Bronco Is having Problems... Its been sitting for a year before I Got it. It runs great... KINDA!

for some reason the Idle starts to surge when the engine light comes on , I have to rev it up high and it clears for a little. Its fine in park or Neutral, When I put it in Reverse or Drive it starts to die and I have to give it gas to keep it running. Sometimes it just dies?

Im thinking It needs a new Fuel filter, Its been sitting for a while so It may be water in the tank that got the filter all cruddy.

Also the engine Doesnt have great throttle response at all! I floor it from a stop and it just takes off slow and then starts to kick in. I know thats not how the motor is supposed to run!

The engine had a tune up Before it was parked a year ago....

Someone else had this problem also.. They also had to start their truck by Jumping the Solinoid with a ***** driver. THats what Ive been doing also, I dont know if that has any thing to do with the way it runs like that but I would like to know what that problem is also... Someone said it may be the Neutral safety switch? Im gonna get one and put it on just to try.

Any help would be helpful! I need this truck for a daily driver... If I dont have this truck I dont have anything!

Thanks Much.

Thomas
Engine light or Check engine light?What size engine?

pinson27

Reaction score
Engine light or Check engine light?What size engine?
Probably not neutral safety.More than likely your right about the fuel filter,and also sounds like the air filter. I would assume that your idle speed sensor,and/or your throttle position sensor is either fried or close to it.Also check the O2 sensor.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Well I got the truck runnin...

Just had to wait a while because of it being so cold...

I still need to move it a tooth clockwise because it still doesnt idle well. It still dies in Reverse or Drive...

Im just gonna drive it to the shop.. They can mess with it..

Other than that.. I drove it around.. I shure missed driving it! ITs soo fun!

wtfdissux

Reaction score
this is why I still have a job if you dont fully understand somethings it is better left to those that do looking back to your first post n this you say you need to jump the solenoid to start ever think of replacing the solenoid and if timing is off set it the right way shop around and get a manual a timing gun and have at it or for about the same take it to a pro speeking of wich you say that the shop is very good why pull the dist. for a tune-up and if they are done why does it run worse not better thats like going to a doctor for a broken leg bone and getting nose job but nothing for your leg tell them to do it right as you paid for or call it an expensive education and find a new mechanic

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Are you positive the firing order was done correctly?
Ya i Checked it and It seems correct by what the Chiltons manual says.. Also ive yet to move it a tooth over... The truck seems to shake alot..

The Neutral saftey switch is also out.. The reverse lights dont go on either.

I removed it and their is something rattling around inside of it. I went to the auto store and got a new one but they gave me one for a different tranny. The switch looked the same but the harness wasnt correct. So Im waiting on getting the new one. Its 7 days out.

I was lookin at the Manual.. It looks confusing to adjust the Switch? How do you guys do it? ?/?

But the way..

The truck died it Reverse in my yard.. so I got out and started it by the solinoid and since I didnt put it back in Park the truck took off into a cherry tree. Needless to say I need to do some fiberglass repairs on the roof corner and also need a new rear bumper.

Its messed up because thats what the prev owner did.. Only on the other side of the truck.. ( And much worse)

So anyways.. This fall its going into the Local Tech College in the Autobody shop and its getting fixed and painted. Its cool, I dont have to pay for Labor. Just Parts and Paint. Its not gonna be perfect but I cant complain.. Its a truck not a show car.

Any comments would be helpful!

beausdad

Reaction score
Excuse me for interrupting, but uhm Roadkill and Yardape - I was wondering - Do you two guys like live on top of a mountain in a little hut wearing robes and have long grey hair. You two are like the freaking Gurus of this place. Ya'll should just look into finding investors and starting up your own Bronco restoration shop. I can see it now - " Bronco Busters Restoration" Bring us your pony and we'll make it a thoroughbred. If you think it's ready for the glue factory we'll bring it back to life.

Yardape

Reaction score
And charge people for for all this wicked info? Couldn't do it, feel to guilty. I am so addicted to this site its not even funny, My wife thinks i'm crazy, I'm on here all the time. I bring my laptop everywhere I go. I have even had someone PM me to say I am ******* people off by answering so many questions all the time, makes me look like a know it all and too cocky. I told him that if the mods say it then I will cool down a bit but this is a ton of fun to me, I love Broncos, I give away parts to my friends for their Broncos all the time so I have people to wheel with. My cell rings all the time with Bronco questions. So its not just here.

Yardape

Reaction score
I sure hope none of you think I am being cocky, or whatever. I just like to help. My truck is outside calling me to change the headgasket but its cold, so I sit on here.

Roadkill

Reaction score
I dont think your cocky, Yardape. If someone posts a question, it's because he needs or wants some information and it's only right to share it if you have it. As for me, I'm kind of addicted too; Not much of a social scene in Baghdad :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so I check out Broncozone whenever I'm not doing actual work. (I've reached that point in my career where I spend way to much time sitting at a desk so I have pretty much unlimited internet access and check out the zone several times a day)

Bye the way, Beausdad, thanks for the compliment but I'm not really a guru or anything. For the last 25 years I've only bought two vehicles that were less than 8 years old at time of purchase (I've always had a thing for older rides) and the only way to keep such vehicles running is by figuring stuff out, or paying a lot of money for someone else to maintain them for you. Also, before I was an MP (Military Police), I was a tank mechanic for 13 years. Everything the Army buys, including replacement parts, is provided by the lowest bidder and, as we all know, "You get what you pay for". So most Army mechanics, (at least the good ones) get to be pretty good at improvising. When I post something, I try to be absolutely positive of my information and when something is a guess, I make sure I say so. Man, my short answer has somehow turned into my life story, sorry about that. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco