Engine Running rough..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ok I did what I said that I would do...

Turns out the shop who did the tune up didnt know what they were doing!

The Plug that hooks into the distributor was hitting the hose clamp for the Radiator Hose. Thats where the Distributor was hitting and then tightened down. ( Obviously the dudes were lazy and just didnt bother. )

So, I moved the clamp and Moved the Distributor Clockwise. I was only able to move it a little because the Plug now hits the Engine block!

BUT! The engine Runs alot better and has Some more power than it had. But the Idle seems to be the same or a little worse.

So I know its the Timing.

So the Question to this is:

Did the Distributor Get Installed wrong? Because It seems to me that It should not Hit the block. I cant turn it anymore!

Does anybody have pics of their Distributor that I can see for Reference?

Thanks

Yardape

Reaction score
You should be able to advance or ****** the same distance both ways without hitting anything, approximately of course. If its farther on way than the other than its probably out a tooth or two

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
So I can turn it counterclockwise all the way and still get the timing correct?

Yardape

Reaction score
Ummm No. I didnt say that. I said the plug should be centered, so you can turn the dist either way the same amount. Not advising you to turn it but thats where it should sit. The best thing to do would be get ahold of a timing light and see where you are sitting.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
It was centered in the first place? But it ran better when I turned it Clockwise?

Since thats so... Then what do you think happened? How can I be out a tooth? Do I need a new Distributor?

Thanks for all your help! I love this place!

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
You Mean Jumped a tooth on the timing chain?

Im gonna schedule a Shop Visit Tomorrow and see what they can do. Its only $30 for a Diagnosis and Timing.

Plus The shop is really good and Honest.

Yardape

Reaction score
I thought you said they had the dist out of the truck? If so when it was re-installed it is easy to put in a tooth out. Or it could happen from a stretched timing chain. Kind of hard to jump a tooth but it has happened. If you are advanced all the way, and still not to where you think the timing should be you can pull the dist, and move it a tooth and put it back in. Understand?

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
You mean move a Gear tooth?

That sounds pretty easey.

I will try and see what happens.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
What do I do? Move the Rotor Counterclockwise when the dist is out and then Reinstall?

That way its back a tooth on the gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Alright....

I tried to do what you said. I wasnt paying attention and turned the rotor and wasnt shure what I did so Now its not in time at all. It wont start! It kinda sounds like its trying, its making popping sounds in the intake. I can hear them.

what does that mean!

I need this truck!

Roadkill

Reaction score
No need to panic, when you put the stuff back to gether you did not get the rotor lined up properly. You just need to reset timing to zero degrees and and start over from there.

1) Remove number one spark plug. (just to be safe, also disconect the coil wire from the distributor)

2) Turn engine until number one cylinder is on compression stroke. You can tell when this is because air will come out through the hole where number one spark plug was.

3) While the engine is on this part of the stroke, line up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer with the 0 degree mark.

4) Now remove the distributor and re-install so that the rotor is lined up with the post for the number one spark plug wire. This may take a few trys because the rotor shaft will rotate slightly as it is installed.

5) Put the rest of the stuff back together and set timing to factory spec.

In the future, if you remove the distributor, always mark positions of the distributor base, engine block, and rotor in relation to each other and it will make reasembley much quicker.

I forgot to mention in steps 2 and 3, turn the engine manually with a wrench on the end of the crankshaft. It will be almost impossible to line up the marks using the starter!

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info!!!

I will work on the Bronco as soon as I get a day off.

Also... My neighbor said that when he timed his 1984 Ford truck he took the dist out and the oil pump shaft or something like that fell out and into the oil pan. So it wouldnt start... he had to get the shaft out and put it back in.

Could that happen to mine? I have a 89 so I would think the engines may be a little different?

Just wanted to make shure..

Also, I was wondering.. Its supposed to be 10 degreese off. How do I do that?

Cylinder # 1 should be that big slash or something in the pulley right? Just wondering because the shop must have marked some other slashes because it looks like they scratched marks on two different parts?

Roadkill

Reaction score
No need to worry about your oil pump shaft.

Also, I was wondering.. Its supposed to be 10 degreese off. How do I do that?
The best way would be to get a timing light from somebody The person you borrow it from can probably show you how to use it; or if you buy one it will come with a users manual. Without a timing light the only way is to "do it by ear" as described earlier.
Cylinder # 1 should be that big slash or something in the pulley right? Just wondering because the shop must have marked some other slashes because it looks like they scratched marks on two different parts?
There shoud be marks on both the pulley and the block. I would take a photo of mine to show you or scan a page from my manual but I'm in Iraq right now and have no access to my truck or manuals. Maybe someone else on here can post something.

An added thought: For around $17 you can get a Hayne's or Chilton's manual for your truck at Autozone or one of the other parts stores. It will explain in great detail how to set your timing with photos/diagrams. It will also cover other things such as basic electrical work and wiring, service intervals, fluid types and capacities, etc. etc. I have bought a book each time I have bought a vehicle in the past and have allways got the money back through working on things myself.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
I will get a Manual asap!

Thanks for all your help! I will keep everybody up to date with the Truck!

Tom

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You must have jumped a tooth or when somone put it back in it wasn't pointing at #1 once seated. reset it and see how she runs. It will twist as it comes out and twists back in. Sounds like you're almost home free!

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
I almost got it running ! Its to late at night to mess with it some more but it almost runs!!!!

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Thanks again and stay tuned for some pics!

Thomas

OP
OP
B

BroncoNutt

Reaction score
It started to start and wouldnt do it anymore! I found cylinder 1 and everything!

Man This Sux!!!

Why in the **** wont it start? It keeps turning over then the engine just barely almost fully starts then doesnt?

Help !!!

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
I replaced the plugs, checked the firing order, timed it and am in the process of cleaning the egr valve.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco