EFI on a 1979 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qbronco

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience putting EFI on a 351M or 400. I am thinking about pulling my carburetor and giving it a shot. Any thoughts, advice pitfalls goods, bad regarding ease of installation, performance or fuel economy changes?
A few issue that I am concerned with are the return line or their returnees system. Looks expensive but....I will also be changing the Ignition system. Right now I am just using the Stock duraspark setup, but am considering changing to MSD, Holley setup or doing an HEI setup if anyone has a link to some how to on that here. Open to any advice, thoughts, hindsight and real world experience.
Thanks in advance

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about adapting Ford parts? I was thinking someone on Full size bronco had milled his 400 intake for injectors. No idea how it turned out.

Or are you talking aftermarket like FI Tech or Holley ******?
The aftermarket stuff is really popular in the older corvettes. Probably a lot of cars but I have been following the corvettes.

I had my doubts, but cannot find one person that is not happy with the conversion. I looked at FITech specifically because it is cheap although it is chinese. Guys talk about tuning can be difficult but it doesn't have to be.
Read a few articles about drag racers using the FITech system and their times were not faster or slower, but they claim more consistent since the temperature and humidity is compensated for and with a carb it is not.

I am building a 78 corvette. I really love the old school snap of the holley double pumper, you will not get that with the ****** or FiTech system, but they will dyno as well.

The corvette guys, many of which are not mechanics, love the easy starts and dependability they have gotten with either aftermarket system.

Probably will put one on myself someday. My kids cannot work on carbs.

Have not read anything about MPG comparisons. I would think the EFI will do better than a poorly matched/tuned carb.

OP
OP
Q

Qbronco

Reaction score
Thanks This, I am talking about aftermarket offerings, but the Milled intake sounds interesting. The research that I have done has me looking at the Holley system. I have two 66 mustangs as well and they seem to begetting more common and popular in that community. I am happy to tune and rebuild carburetors, but I have a kind of unique situation that has me looking at the FI stuff. I live at 9000 Ft. and often drive up and down to Denver which is at 5280. The change in altitude from place to place where I drive doesn't make things easy for a statically tuned device like a carb.
I have been chasing hard starts and vapor locking for awhile on my Bronco but even with all of the things I have done it still doesn't seem happy. I currently have an Edelbrock 650 on it because it was easier to pass emissions, but I also have a Holley truck avenger that it seems to like better. At this point I am ready to have something that can help me cure the heat soak/ vapor lock/ hard start and change in altitude issues if this will work.

Any way, I was hoping someone might have some experience or thoughts about which aftermarket system, a return fuel line setup and so forth.
I am not sure there is anything that will help with MPG, but sure would be nice. :)

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Hear a lot talk about the Holley Sniperefi

https://www.summitracing.com/search...mAsSnEx38biclVi0HqnJDrj_yH0mY_SAaAtogEALw_wcB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke