96 5L/351 EFI shuts down randomly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richardallen

Reaction score
1996 Bronco, 5L/351 EFI V8 290K miles. New to the forum. Great vehicle, one-owner, driven often, idles fine, etc. Almost all parts are original, including the alternator and starter. Currently having a random shutdown problem that has graduated to cant start the vehicle. When was running, the engine would just stop. It was so uneventful, that I would check the tach to see if it was running or not. It did not correspond to time running or engine temperature. Now, cannot crank, but getting power to the starter, fuel pump, etc. Turns engine without issues. As one thread noted, can hear the relays, pump prime, etc. It acts as if there is a 'don't crank' switch - maybe no fire to the ignition system

I am heading toward the ignition coil and engine control module, since the timing, idle, etc are/were solid,

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Ignition module is the most common failure.
After that the PIP sensor.
Then maybe fuel pump.

All of which could cause it.

If you want to just swap parts, start there. If you want to troubleshoot then get a spark tester like the one pictured, plug it in, leave it there. When it dies it is easy to check for spark.

No spark says PIP or ignition module. (also called TFI)
Spark, then start looking at fuel pressure.

I have had a 96 that the coil failed on, but It was an aftermarket coil and not very common failure.

Attachments

• 63590_I.jpg
    63590_I.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Richard,
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the very best year Big Bronco known to men, women, children and canines!

See my post @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/95-no-start.497984/#post-7129394

OUR SITE HERE HAS A LIMIT ON TEXT THAT INTERFERES WITH RESPONSES.

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/96_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

Al

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar