Effects of disconnected O2 sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
I just realized that since I restored and certified my 302 89 f150 that one of the wires on my o2 sensor had broken off the sensor. its been nearly 3 months, how much damage have I done? or have I just been killing my emissions and mileage?

also I'm too cheap to pay anyone to change it, once the pipe is warmed up slightly, how hard is it to take out the old sensor without damaging the threads in the pipe? or should I just **** it up and get a shop to do it?

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
alright, I don't have a wiring diagram infront of me at the moment but I believe it was the white wire that broke off. I found I would get the cel randomly less than 3 times a week. so I never though much of it.

the plan is to replace the sensor in a couple of weeks when go home to help my parents install hardwood floors. they have a better selection of tools there, and half of my tools are there anyways. im also gonna tackle that power steering pump leak as well.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
so I was looking at the diagrams for the o2 sensor, and apparently the wire the broke (grey and yellow) goes to "ign sw" this I assume is where the sensor gets its power to send the signal to the computer , is that correct? the other two wires go to the computer and to ground.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
So I was having a look at everything, and it turns out its the shell that broke off the end right above where the sensor threads into the pipe. there is still a wire connected from the the wires that go into the shell into the main part of the sensor so I don't even know if this thing is working. I haven't had a code for at least a week.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
yeah I am its the sensor thats been in the exhaust since I got the thing. I haven't made it home yet and I just went back to work last week after an injury so I won't have the money for a new sensor till the 27th

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I know when I replaced my O2 sensor..it was on their tight!

I got one of them special O2 sensor sockets..the socket expanded itself and rounded itself around the sensor. I was applying a lot of force with a 3' breaker bar. Needless to say, it was on there tight.

So I got a open/closed ended wrench and used the closed end to take off the sensor. Had to cut the wires off so I could get the closed end around the sensor. Then a few good heavy kicks, and it finally came loose. So you may have to do the same thing.. IIRC it's a 7/8ths?

The new O2 went in with ease..now when I take it out in two years to replace it... hopefully it'll be just as easy!

muddrivermike

Reaction score
You know what,You need to spary it down to soak it BUT dont use regular lubricant.USE brake fluid,I learned that at my current job,Never heard of it before then.Somehow it seems to loosen our O2 sensors real good,I dont know how but it does. :wacko:

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
kewl I will be sure to try that when I get home on the 27th, the sensor swap is on a short to do list for that weekend. including hardwood floor install in parents house, change sector shaft seal on power steering box, oil change, maybe seafoam my engine if I have to money, replace the passenger side vent window, and steal some center caps for my aluminum rims from the scrap yard.

it will be a busy couple of days, with 1 and 3/4 thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23