Different Coolant Temp sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captsb890

Reaction score
I had a coolant leak, went to a shop, they pressurized it and found the leak, gasket in thermostat housing--- They flushed the coolant system. On highway my temperature went up--bronco would not accelerate until it cooled down so I took it to another shop and they put in a new thermostat------and they also put in a different coolant sensor( other than the standard one ) a TS10001--- The Bronco always started up when cool from overnight and ran about 1200 until warm and then normal idle--about 7-800-------But since the new different model sensor was put in, in the morning it starts and drops to 2-300 rpm labors a little and I have to tickle the pedal to get it higher. They took out the original coolant sensor and put this one in-----( they charged me $180.00 -ouch! )-my question: is there something in this type of sensor ( like maybe resistance different) that the eec-iv computer doesn't recognize and it is not positioning the idle valve for fast idle start?? OR- does the computer have to recognize this new sensor first--like driving it around for a while ? I think I noticed also that they put Teflon tape around the sensor threads ?------Everything works fine when warm and on the highway and it operates ok--it is just the cold start has changed-- Anyone have any suggestions?

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I had a coolant leak, went to a shop, they pressurized it and found the leak, gasket in thermostat housing--- They flushed the coolant system. On highway my temperature went up--bronco would not accelerate until it cooled down so I took it to another shop and they put in a new thermostat------and they also put in a different coolant sensor( other than the standard one ) a TS10001--- The Bronco always started up when cool from overnight and ran about 1200 until warm and then normal idle--about 7-800-------But since the new different model sensor was put in, in the morning it starts and drops to 2-300 rpm labors a little and I have to tickle the pedal to get it higher. They took out the original coolant sensor and put this one in-----( they charged me $180.00 -ouch! )-my question: is there something in this type of sensor ( like maybe resistance different) that the eec-iv computer doesn't recognize and it is not positioning the idle valve for fast idle start?? OR- does the computer have to recognize this new sensor first--like driving it around for a while ? I think I noticed also that they put Teflon tape around the sensor threads ?------Everything works fine when warm and on the highway and it operates ok--it is just the cold start has changed-- Anyone have any suggestions?
Hey Capts
It sounds like the sensor is a generic "Fits all" type deal, so the calibration (resistance might be off a bit making the PCM think the engine is warmer than it is.
what year is your truck again? You might be able to view the ECT temp in a dta list with a scan too and see if it matches Air charge temp before you start it in the morning. (cold engine). Ford was just a bit behind everyone else in letting us see the datastream, I don't think its available till after 1992ish.
Also, the teflon tape wont affect the operation as the ECT grounds inside the PCM, not the block.
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Hey Capts
It sounds like the sensor is a generic "Fits all" type deal, so the calibration (resistance might be off a bit making the PCM think the engine is warmer than it is.
what year is your truck again? You might be able to view the ECT temp in a dta list with a scan too and see if it matches Air charge temp before you start it in the morning. (cold engine). Ford was just a bit behind everyone else in letting us see the datastream, I don't think its available till after 1992ish.
Also, the teflon tape wont affect the operation as the ECT grounds inside the PCM, not the block.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Thanks for the message---The sensor was installed by Firestone--the one in their computer calls for the Ts10001----that is a one size fits all----I'm going to cut it out and put the one back in their that was original---They charged me $180.00 ( $109.00 for sensor) I went back to them and explained I think I have a problem with this sensor as I didn't before they installed thermostat , flushed radiator and installed this-- generic sensor---it reads ok on temp--but cold start is lousy---I was told to get out of here and never bring that old car here again-!? After I had spent thousands in firestone on this Bronco before. I'm searching for technical data on that sensor Ford put in their---I agree it must be a resistance problem ??---Sam

Attachments

• IMG_3500[11208] auto sonics 2.JPG
    IMG_3500[11208] auto sonics 2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 8

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the message---The sensor was installed by Firestone--the one in their computer calls for the Ts10001----that is a one size fits all----I'm going to cut it out and put the one back in their that was original---They charged me $180.00 ( $109.00 for sensor) I went back to them and explained I think I have a problem with this sensor as I didn't before they installed thermostat , flushed radiator and installed this-- generic sensor---it reads ok on temp--but cold start is lousy---I was told to get out of here and never bring that old car here again-!? After I had spent thousands in firestone on this Bronco before. I'm searching for technical data on that sensor Ford put in their---I agree it must be a resistance problem ??---Sam
glad you posted a pic. on the newer OBDII system you can read what the coolant temp sensor says with a scan tool.

I am not sure if an ohm meter would be helpful? You could pay the sensors side by side and compare. Then put them both in a pan of warm water and compare again.

Maybe, just a though to help rule out the sensor being the issue.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score

Who is that Firestone shop?
Others in your area may want to know to avoid it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Contact the state attorney general.s office. They ripped you off . Make that call to the AGO --soon. You were scammed--its agaisn,t the law and make them pay it back.

Motech

Reaction score
Your poor cold start might be result of memory reset if your battery was disconnected during work performed. If so, some weird idling issues, especially cold-start, are normal. Computer will relearn and you should be beck to normal after a few cold-start cycles.

A careful throttle body cleaning could help too, but do it with a rag soaked in carb cleaner. If you spray directly in there, you could damage the Throttle Position Sensor.

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
glad you posted a pic. on the newer OBDII system you can read what the coolant temp sensor says with a scan tool.

I am not sure if an ohm meter would be helpful? You could pay the sensors side by side and compare. Then put them both in a pan of warm water and compare again.

Maybe, just a though to help rule out the sensor being the issue.
I just cut out that sensor they put in and went back to original type sensor----seems it does talk to the computer-----is the coolant gage also in the system? The temperature is good--below the n in normal range--------

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I just cut out that sensor they put in and went back to original type sensor----seems it does talk to the computer-----is the coolant gage also in the system? The temperature is good--below the n in normal range--------
The gauge should have a different sender. (single wire)
How does she start now?
Cheers

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke