Cross fire ingniton wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Pulled from a site selling turnkey motors:

"1. Cross-fire on 1987 to 1993, 302 Ford engines. If the number 2 & 4 or the number 7 & 8 spark plug wires are located nexted to each other, the plug wires will induce each other to fire at the wrong time, causing piston, cylinder head and head gasket failure"

What you guys think? True or not true??

I just put new wires on my truck yesturday..I just threw em on there :huh:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

TRUE!

The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur.

Diagrams for 5.0, 87-93 & 94-96 5.0 ** - INCLUDES 5.8

Source: by Tank92 (Tank) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...stry/5180/32495

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Hmmm I don't have those lil brackets..

Can the wires be close to any metal (frame) parts or electrical wires??

How far apart do the ignition wires need to be from eachother? Half an inch? Or is it "if their touching, they'll spark" type deal?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
They have to be placed (routed) as shown in the diagram(s) by Tank92; the diagram is same as the one on top of your radiator, or underside of da hood or air cleaner (mostly for carb models)

get da brackets from a yard vehicle...

... there usually is a space between wires...as shown in the diagrams; some wires do cross-over/under/ alongside one another but have no danger of sparking... unless the insul is damaged or deteriorated which isn't a prob in your case

read the info in the diagrams and see how the spacer brackets hold and do seperate the wires from each other as well as rocker covers and dip stick tube (Ford called it the oil level indicator tube and bracket)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar