Crate Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim Owens

Reaction score
So, Im about to buy my First Bronco. Im sure somewhere down the line probly sooner than later I will have to replace the engine and Transmission. Ive been looking around at engines online, and Ive found lots of them. The Bronco Im looking at is a 1993. I know that its the law that you cant remove any emmissions equipment, but will all that emmission equipment work with a fairly hot 302 crate motor with say 400 hp? When I order the motor should I tell them to make sure all the emmissions stuff will still work? I have found all the components for the emmissions system online, I figure since I will replace the motor, I might as well replace all the emmissions components as well to save a later headache. I want to put on a whole new EFI system. Has anyone tried the Edelbrock PRO-FX? Looks awsome, but Ive never talked to anyone that actually had one. Also I see alot of EZ-EFI systems, and that just doesnt do it for me for some reason. The Mass-Flo system also appears to be pretty good as well. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

With that new Motor should I upgrade the fuel system as well? New Pump? Sender? Tank? God knows it will probly go if its not up to par with a hotter motor.

While im in upgrade mode, I might as well update the Radiator and add a engine oil cooler and aux trans cooler. Im not about to hang a big giant fan off the front of my March Pulleys and brackets either, so Electric fans will be manditory. Im also thinking about doing a remote dual Oil Filter set up.

I have found a transmission shop here in town that will build a 4R100 to TCI spec's. They only want 2200 complete too, which is alot better than 3700 from TCI. Thier warranty is good too so I suppose I will go with that to save a few bucks.

Im also thinking while Im doing this, it might be time to go ahead and junk the BW transfer case and get an Atlas. Does anyone have any thoughts on a particular model? I love the fact you can engage either axle seperately. I dont need any really low gears as I dont plan on going mudding into the deep stuff, just a little fun in the mud from time to time. Im not into all the major clean up after mudding. I just want a good hi and low gear set that will get me out of trouble when needed. Im only gonna run 33x12.5 tires on it, dont need the big giant 38's suckin my gas out of the tank at $3.50 a gallon this summer.

So Im sure there are quite a few people with experience on these upgrades around here, give me some advice, PLEASE! WHo to stay away from, who knows what they are doin. Also, I want the most HP I can get with the best possible gas mileage. If this was a chevy, I know exactly what to put in it, but since im new to fords, this is a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks

Jim Owens

Orlando, FL

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
OKay jim first things first.

What are you planning to do with your bronco?

and

what is wrong with the current engine, transmission and transfer case?

if all your going to do is play in the mud once in a while and only run 33's your original equipment with only the required regular maintenance will be up to the task for a long time. Despite all the ford jokes I've bet you've heard being a Chev guy,fords can take a pounding.

if you want to save money on gas then why drop huge money on a drivetrain that will break everything else faster ( if you seriously use the HP) and **** up a lot more fuel.

for low speed offroading ie trails and mud holes all you really need is a good low range and lots of traction and ground clearance. I've seen a 4 cylinder suzuki do alot of crazy things with roughly 100hp on a good day.

but hey if you want to spend 5+ g's on a 400 hp grocery getter be my guest

OP
OP
J

jim Owens

Reaction score
I know what ya mean. Nothing wrong with the current engine as far as I know. But since its 18 years old, Im sure it wont hold up to my lead foot for long. I could go back witha box stock motor, but wheres the fun in that? I was even thinking of dropping a new Chevy LS3 E-ROD and a 4L80E in there. Would still pass all the emmissions too, But I think everyone that loves Fords that looked under the hood would want to **** me.

If I was single, I would just drop one of the new Cobra Supercharged crate motors in there, but my wife would **** me If i put a $20,000 motor in a $3000 truck.

What Im eventually after, is a brand new bronco. Eventually I would like to do a body off restore on it and blast and paint the frame, upgrade to a solid front axle with a nice 6" lift. Was thinking of going with Dana60 front and rears, but thats alot of money, and I dont wheel enough to justify it. Mostly I want a semi hot rod that looks awsome, and can do it in the dirt, but mostly for the street and not make me flinch every time i pass a gas station.

Krafty

Reaction score
well to be honest the age doesn't really mean its dead weight, the 1969 429 in my tbird is still chugging away at a stock 400 hp with no engine work.

the best bang for the buck is if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, rebuilding your original engine and building it up to your hot rod dreams, its a lot cheaper and a lot more gratifying. And lets face it here A bronco is never gonna get great mileage even if you drive like a grandma with a 300 straight 6, throwing a high hp motor in a rolling brick is not a step in the right direction.

I'd say pick up this bad boy and bring it home and just enjoy it, throw on a nice set of 33's rock it with the cap off when the weather is good and really appreciate what you're getting. throw on a nice set of headers and mufflers and then you've got a rockin beach machine.

but once again thats just me, Its easy to forget but it doesn't take a lot of money to have a good time.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Jim.., welcome....

I was going to be "devils advocate" but Krafty beat me to it...soooo.,

"What he said"

You can "over-power" these rigs to the point of dangerous.

With all those planned changes., you're already into the thousands W/O the eng.

IMHO...

Get the Bronco, clean it up a bit & use it....then buy a "Camaro" to "hot-rod".. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> B)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane