Clunk/clicking sound while driving slow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dsgermer

Reaction score
Hallo.

Just bought a Ford Bronco from the year 1990, and the engine is running quite nice. No unusual sounds.

But when I put it in gear and start driving, then I hear a clunk, clunk, clunk and it gets faster and faster when I am increasing the speed until it “disappears” or the engine sound overrules it.

when rolling slowly and speeding up you here it more clear until you let go again or get above a certain speed.

I thought it might be the driveshaft, because it had a small dent. Removed it and tried driving it only on rear wheels, but the sound is still there.

I have a video where you can here the sound and I will try to upload it if possible.

Video:

Hope somebody can help out!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
That is a significant clunk. YOu need someone locally to help you localize where it is coming from.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Jack up the rear end, put it in gear. That will narrow it down between front half and back half of the truck.

broncosbowler1

Reaction score
I would check the drive shaft. While in park grab the shaft and wiggle back and forth. Should be solid. No play. I have the same year and my u joints were bad and made a similar sound.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke