c6 & np205 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jk0106

Reaction score
i have a 72 bronco and just removed the c4 and dana 20 and am trying to instal a c6 and np205. does anyone know of anyone who makes a crossmember for this aplication to fit an early bronco or who might be able to help me or what i have to do. any help and info would be greatly apreciated

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I did the NP435/205 conversion - close enough since the t-case its the same. I had to make my own cross brace out of c-Channle, welded some 1/4" box tube in the center to reach the height of the t-case mount. I also had to add box tube to each end of the brace to reach the stock L brackets on the frame rails. Since the 205 has a perfectly flat bottom where it mounts I decided to use the new style round blue poly t-case mounts that are used on the stock D20 t-case (Duff Sells). They are very strong and work well. Once you drill out the top hole for the bushing to fit into you can insert the bottom bushing inside the box tube. Then drill a hole under the c-channel and up through the bottom of the box tube so you can gain access to the bolts to tighten the t-case down. I added some large thick washers the same size as the blue poly bushing on top of of them to help spread out the load since only half of each bushing is holding the t-case. The side mount is not used since the frame rail will end up being 1/4" from touching (no room). The yoke in the front will also be very close to the frame and might need to be reduced to a 1310 yoke. Maybe these photos will help... If not I can take some more tonight, I forgot to clean up the areas before taking these shots so its tough to see the blue round bushings and such.

Cross_brace.jpg

Cross_Brace2.jpg

Exhaustand435.jpg

NP435and205.jpg

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Oh, a few other things, the D20 round poly mounts take a 9/16" bolt and the NP205 uses 1/2" bolts so the t-case mounting holes have to be drilled out to fit 9/16" bolts. Plus its nice to have larger bolts in there since the side mount is not being used anyhow. The 205 case doen't have as low of a "low range" as the D20 (slightly less) that why most of us go with the NP435 4 speed to get the granny low 1st gear and that make up for it big time. All depends on what your doing with the Bronco. The 205 is almost bullet proof, you will be happy with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23