Engine and Transmission swap '88 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronconyc

Reaction score
So, on my '88 5.0 Eddie Bower I finally must swap out both the engine and transmission for rebuilt. Thinking about this crate engine: https://marcoenginesug.com/product/...stock-drop-in-long-block-crate-engines-hp99f/

Don't know about rebuilt transmissions yet.

Any advice about removing both at the same time? I've found a lot of videos on removing one or the other. But none with both.

I'm not a mechanic but pretty skilled with fixing many things already. This seems like a big project but doable with the right planning and tools.

Any advice about tricky parts (like the exhaust removal etc) would be appreciated!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never pulled engine and trans out of a bronco at the same time. For me it is probably about space and the cheap cherry picker I had. I don't trust the weight on it. Or getting the engine tipped just right. Also working in a garage with a fairly low ceiling and the broncos sit pretty tall anyway, so for me it was easier to drop them individually.

It is not a big project it is more time consuming. You gotta keep working at it, pulling stuff off, make sure everything is unhooked, keep checking clearances. Every swap has it's own challenges. Even doing the same vehicles is rarely the same.

Exhaust studs are difficult. If they break, they break. Deal with them when the engine is out. Otherwise a little propane torch and some patience and you will get the nuts off.

All of the electrical connectors are old and brittle. Take you time and you won't break as many , get in a hurry and you will break every one of them.

Otherwise just jump in. Keep track of your nuts and bolts and where they went.

come by here when you get stuck.

OP
OP
B

Bronconyc

Reaction score
I have never pulled engine and trans out of a bronco at the same time. For me it is probably about space and the cheap cherry picker I had. I don't trust the weight on it. Or getting the engine tipped just right. Also working in a garage with a fairly low ceiling and the broncos sit pretty tall anyway, so for me it was easier to drop them individually.

It is not a big project it is more time consuming. You gotta keep working at it, pulling stuff off, make sure everything is unhooked, keep checking clearances. Every swap has it's own challenges. Even doing the same vehicles is rarely the same.

Exhaust studs are difficult. If they break, they break. Deal with them when the engine is out. Otherwise a little propane torch and some patience and you will get the nuts off.

All of the electrical connectors are old and brittle. Take you time and you won't break as many , get in a hurry and you will break every one of them.

Otherwise just jump in. Keep track of your nuts and bolts and where they went.

come by here when you get stuck.
This is awesome advice. Thank you!

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Great advice ..... but my friend you are from New York..... nothing is going to come off that ride easily.

Take your time ... spray everything down multiple times with penetrating fluid..... use heat.... be as gentle as you can ... snapped bolts are NO FUN.

When all else fails take a freaking grinder to that dam bolt.

Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23