C6 transmission shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captsb890

Reaction score
Still having shift problems with this C6 that was overhauled---------------Can you tell me why when I go through the gears manually--start off in 1st then shift to second---nice shift and smooth---but when I shift to 3rd---either stumbles or there is nothing? is it linkage-adjustment-?
Also,------ How do you adjust that TV cable shift ----like it came from the factory ----? I looked at you tube videos and nothing there shows a C6
anyone know?
Thanks Sam

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The short version of adjustment is, you want the throttle wide open, and the cable pulled against the stop at the same time.

THROTTLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
by ARRC (= to Chilton)
1979 Ford BRONCO Submodel: | Engine Type: V8 | Liters: 5.8 Fuel Delivery: CARB | Fuel: GAS
1.Move the carburetor throttle linkage to the wide open position.
2.Insert a 0.060 inch; thick spacer between the throttle lever and the kickdown adjusting *****.
3.Rotate the transmission kickdown lever until the lever engages the transmission internal stop. Do not use the kickdown rod to turn the transmission lever.
4.Turn the adjusting ***** until it contacts the 0.060 inch; spacer.
5.Remove the spacer.

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
The short version of adjustment is, you want the throttle wide open, and the cable pulled against the stop at the same time.

THROTTLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
by ARRC (= to Chilton)
1979 Ford BRONCO Submodel: | Engine Type: V8 | Liters: 5.8 Fuel Delivery: CARB | Fuel: GAS
1.Move the carburetor throttle linkage to the wide open position.
2.Insert a 0.060 inch; thick spacer between the throttle lever and the kickdown adjusting *****.
3.Rotate the transmission kickdown lever until the lever engages the transmission internal stop. Do not use the kickdown rod to turn the transmission lever.
4.Turn the adjusting ***** until it contacts the 0.060 inch; spacer.
5.Remove the spacer.
Thanks for that-----I just did an adjustment someone told me and it works the best it ever had.

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Still having shift problems with this C6 that was overhauled---------------Can you tell me why when I go through the gears manually--start off in 1st then shift to second---nice shift and smooth---but when I shift to 3rd---either stumbles or there is nothing? is it linkage-adjustment-?
Also,------ How do you adjust that TV cable shift ----like it came from the factory ----? I looked at you tube videos and nothing there shows a C6
anyone know?
Thanks Sam
It was a stretched timing chain causing problems

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo