C4 a good match with 302?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trains11tjc

Reaction score
I just got my 302 a couple of months ago and i have my original 170 engine with a C4 tranny in my truck right now. I was wondering how far will this C4 go with my 302? Im not sure it will hold up considering im building a 400 hp engine and most likely im gonna wanna go fourwheeling in it once i get it done...i dont fourwheel it regularly considering its my daily driver so would a C4 be good for off and on fourwheeling? thanks for the help

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
With the proper gearing,it takes alot of strain off your trans.If you keep it cool,a c-4 can hold up just fine.I had mine rebuilt about ten years ago,and its still working great.You can get them rebuilt with kevlar bands,and larger capacity pans.I have had mine on some pretty harsh trails,and have no complaints. <)

OP
OP
T

trains11tjc

Reaction score
ok so im hearing a lot of good things about the np435 what do you guys know about this tranny? i think i want to stick with a manual tranny but the thing is im not sure i want a big old stick sticking up out of my floorboards...i just dont like the look or feel of it...i also dont want a horribly slow shifting truck cuz i'd like it to kinda have a little get up. so what do you guys think i should go with?

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
<)

ok so im hearing a lot of good things about the np435 what do you guys know about this tranny? i think i want to stick with a manual tranny but the thing is im not sure i want a big old stick sticking up out of my floorboards...i just dont like the look or feel of it...i also dont want a horribly slow shifting truck cuz i'd like it to kinda have a little get up. so what do you guys think i should go with?
My c-4 has been there for me,I think it's a great tanny.BUT,it doesn't have an overdrive running 35 inch tires,with 4.56 gears.At highway speeds,I'm up there,as far as RPM's go.I used to have an NV3550 transmission a '77 E.B..Now that transmission is very smooth,very strong,and very fun to drive.I accent fun because I used to enjoy driving it,it was pleasurable to drive it.I've had 435,they were very strong,and for mostly rockcrawling,maybe a better choice also had a truck with an NV4500.That is a super strong tranny,but very truck like ,and not,in my opinion,fun to drive.With an overdrive tranny,you can go way down on the gears ala...4.88,5.13's,and still hjave an overdrive to bring you up on the highway.Very nice in this 2.30 a gallon world were living in.

BANDIT <)

OP
OP
T

trains11tjc

Reaction score
yea i mean i love having a manual but i dont want it to feel like a truck u know like where i push the clutch in and shove it into gear i want something that shifts nice and smooth so that i can enjoy it. none of that shoving into gear stuff im not sure if i can get this kind of tranny with a truck or not but i'd like to get as close as i can...thanks for the help i'll definitely have to look at that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23