Bronco Cranks, Won't Fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drwyrehead

Reaction score
Hi all

Help, we just bought an 89 Bronco, needed some work, radiator and more. Will start eventually (with aerosol) and run fine, as soon as you turn it off it refuses to fire again. Has new plugs, wire, battery, starter.

I have seen relays and ignition module mentioned. Does anyone have any ideas ... the garage wanted to change the head gasket! Help!

I am stuck in NJ with this vehicle and need to get back to SC and am running out of money .... :unsure:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the B Zone.

You might want to check the coil. Next thing to check are the fuel filter /s, I have two on my 90. One is on the frame rail near the rear axel the other one is where the fuel line starts to go up at the fire wall.

You'll also want to inspect the relays on the driver side wheel well, North East trucks have a tendency to build up a lot of corrosion in the plugs. Take an emory board and wire brush and clean the contacts on the relays and inside the plug.

I am assuming the engine stays running until you turn it off, or is it shutting down on it's own? If it is shutting down on it's own, how long does it run for?

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Also check the gap on the plugs. The gap should be set to 0.044 inch.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

drwyrehead

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your reply ... the garage got it going, my husband drove it a few miles, and the engine just quit on its own...

letrain

Reaction score
first check to see if there is spark by pulling out the cable from the middle of your distributer and holding it near metal (dont get your hand near the end it will hurt if it sparks), if it sparks have then plug it back in and have someone hit the bottom of the gas tank with a stick hard while someone else cranks it over, if it starts then its your fuel pump that is going bad.

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
You might want to try the TFI Mine was going bad and when it heated up it would stop the motor and after It was repalced Never happened agine.

OP
OP
D

drwyrehead

Reaction score
Thanks, show my ignorance now, What is a TFI? I was running along fine until I hit a shallow hill, pressed the gas, all cylinders sounded like they misfired and the thing dies and would not start again. Does that sound familiar.

Thanks.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
It does sound like it could be that ignition module. If the autozone.com website is working, you can search their repair library for info. (Check tech articles here at BZ for a link). You may also have a problem with engine timing or the computer.

M

mike g

I just wanted to add this little comment ,my 87 bronco would run for a couple of days with no problems then just shut down.What i found was the wire going to the coil was broken off on the positive side of the coil couldn't see it with the shrink rap on it took me 2 days to find it.ran a jumper wire from the bat to the + side of the coil to get it home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23