Bronco caught on fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
:(( My bronco caught on fire tonight. I was trying to start it and I heard a hiss sound then I saw flames and smoke, I was able to put it out with the garden hose. I don't know what all is burnt up it was dark out so I will be busy. I am pretty sure it is just melted wire coating because it does run I got it started and put away. My K&N filter got a little melted but i think its still good. The hiss sound happened the other day and I got to see it when it happened it shot gas out of the carb any one know what causes this? I think I am going to get a new carb. I am just rambling I needed to vent. Thanks for letting me

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I had seen a fuel leak at the carb where the fuel line enters. I think it was caused by the flaring of the copper tubing cracking off.

What's most important is that no one got hurt!

All this other stuff can get fixed.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I had seen a fuel leak at the carb where the fuel line enters. I think it was caused by the flaring of the copper tubing cracking off.
What's most important is that no one got hurt!

All this other stuff can get fixed.

I will have to get a pick but it didn't leak from the hose there is a hole and gas just shot out of it, but only when having trouble starting it.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
My trucks got an Edelbrock 4bbl on it, it some times flames up after it pops gas outta the carb. Ive never had it actully stay on fire for more then a few seconds, but i think its cuased from running rich or fuel loadin up in the bowls. Just a thought...

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I circled the hole where the fuel shot out. Do any of you know what this is and is it supposed to dump fuel? In the second pic you can see that it dumps onto the distributor cap and wires.

DSC00864_2.jpg

DSC00865.JPG

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
what kind of carb is that looks to me like ita a part of that carb could be missing... or im way off.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Looks like the stock Holley 4180, i havent worked on one but i would say fuel aint suppose to come outta there. Probably needs a rebuild, i would throw a Edelbrock Performer 1405 (600cfm) on it, they only cost about $250 and work pretty good.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, that looks like the stock 4180 carb. IF you look below the area on the bowl where the leak is, you can read "Holley". They made that carb for MotorCraft, which is Ford's part division, for the 84-86 351W H.O. engine. THe original 4180 carb is notorious for leaking fuel onto the top of the intake manifold, and it looks like you have a crack or pinhole leaking fuel from the side of the bowl in the pic. In my opinion and past experience, you are better off replacing that carb rather than trying to repair/rebuild it. If you want to keep your factory emissions (looks like a vacuum line or two is gone/ missing), a remanufactured 4180 runs about $250 + $50 core charge. The Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke is a better replacement for the same price range $300. The EDL 1405 is a manual choke. Both are rated at 600cfm, similar to the 4180. YOu'll need a bracket for the tranny kickdown linkage if you have the C6 automatic. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i have a ?? thats off topic a lil bit. i wanna a 4bbl carb instead of a 2 bbl. all i have to do is change the intake and carb right or is there more to it?

shift1313

Reaction score
that part of the carb is your primary float bowl. I dont know about that carb but some have a relief or an overflow built into them. Is it possible you are getting too much fuel psi? it might be worth putting a gauge on and checking that. What happens if something goes wrong with pressure or too much fuel some carbs are designed to leak fuel instead of filling up your intake and soaking past the rings into your oil.

this is just a generalization and not specific to that carb. Ive never worked on a 4180 so i dont know. You can tell right away if you pull that float bowl off and look on the inside. if its obviously a crack youve got a problem but if there is a valve or something behind that casting you might have found the problem.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help I am gonna get the 1406, Jegs has it for $260. I'm not in a rush it just so happens that my buddy is deployed and is letting me use his truck. What am I looking for when trying to find out what transmission I have?

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Look at the shape of the pan, seein as its a 84 its probably a C6. Heres a C6 trans pan, its got 17 bolts.

Trans_Pan.jpg

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Yea he jumped in right as i took it. I would look at Summit Racing, i prefer them over Jegs and there websites easier to use.

BroncoJeff

fLoWmAsTeRs=RuMbLe
Reaction score
Ya man, um my house burnt down wednesday while I was at school. Its all over the news, google it, "polk city house fire". It sucked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23