Body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into or done a swap putting an 80-96 body onto a 78/79 frame ? Is it a direct swap or do some/any of the body mounts need to be relocated ? I'd like to swap a 5th generation (92-96) body onto a 78/79 frame as a long-term project with my oldest son. I'm currently looking for another 78/79 Bronco as a parts truck for my 79. I need the roof (metal half over the cab, not the cap), doors & hood from the donor truck so I'd probably just trash the rest of the tub when I'm done & keep the rolling chassis. I think putting a 92-96 body onto the 78/79 chassis would be a great swap giving him a late model body with stuff like power windows/locks, etc and most importantly the airbags (especially for a 16yr old) on top of what's probably the best 1/4 ton chassis combo (solid front axle, gear driven transfer case, 9" rear end) Ford ever made. What I want to know is how much the body mounts changed & how the frame contours are different. I was thinking a small (2") body lift might be needed to account for different high & low parts of the two frames. All the full-size Bronco's share a 104.7" wheelbase but I don't know if the body mount locations changed any between the 78/79 and 80/96 trucks. Does anyone know ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right Blade, Thanx. I took a few quick measurements last night. The 78/79 frame is 33.5" wide up front & 37" in back while the 88' was 47" up front (didn't check the rear). The 78/79 body mounts extend 7" from the frame while the 88's are 9". Looks like it would just be a matter of fabbing a set of 8 body mounts, both bodies only use mounts for the center 4 bolts and the front & rear body bolts go directly to the frame but since the 80-96 mounting points are spaced further out those bodies would need frame mounts for the front & rear bolts

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23