78 bronco FE 390 swap mount questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldschoolrides

Reaction score
I have a 78 bronco that I got with a 460 that was blown and my father in law gave me a 72 2wd f250 for its motor. So I pulled the 460 and the 390 out. They both had c6's so I was in luck. I just swapped out the tail shaft from the 4wd in the 390 2wd c6 along with the tailshaft housing. I have it all together now an have it sitting in the bronco. But the mounts do no align. I keep finding info of it being done. But nothing about the mounts as to what needs done. The 390 currently has the 2wd rubber mounts on it. I have check on parts store sites to see if the 4wd version are different but they are the same part numbers. I did keep the 460 conversion mounts. Im not sure if I can mod them to fit.

Any help would be great! Also im really looking for some motor mount pictures for sure!

Foul Al

Reaction score
I have a 78 bronco that I got with a 460 that was blown and my father in law gave me a 72 2wd f250 for its motor. So I pulled the 460 and the 390 out. They both had c6's so I was in luck. I just swapped out the tail shaft from the 4wd in the 390 2wd c6 along with the tailshaft housing. I have it all together now an have it sitting in the bronco. But the mounts do no align. I keep finding info of it being done. But nothing about the mounts as to what needs done. The 390 currently has the 2wd rubber mounts on it. I have check on parts store sites to see if the 4wd version are different but they are the same part numbers. I did keep the 460 conversion mounts. Im not sure if I can mod them to fit.

Any help would be great! Also im really looking for some motor mount pictures for sure!
hey bud, I hve done this swap before and if i remember correctly.. i used the factory bronco perches but i had to move them foreward a bit. I remember using the rear mounting holes on the perches in the front mounting holes on the frame. I also used the tranny that came with the motor. it was 4x4 also. good luck bud!

OP
OP
O

oldschoolrides

Reaction score
So that. Moves it forward about 4 1/2 to 5 inches?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O

oldschoolrides

Reaction score
I took a picture of the passenger side. Do I just move the mount forward to two bolts in front of the mount.

0d979ba0.jpg

Foul Al

Reaction score
i thinnk thats correct. you'll have to take a few measurements from the motor mounts to the trans mount surface to the mating surface of the transfer case. i believe thats what brought me to that result. i actually used the round style tranny but had the center shaft swapped from the original tranny that was in the bronco. thats what remember doing.good luck bud. remember to measure the total length of your swap as that will determine what you will have to alter.

OP
OP
O

oldschoolrides

Reaction score
Well got it put in. Moved the towers forward an bolted up. I'm from troy Ohio.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well got it put in. Moved the towers forward an bolted up. I'm from troy Ohio.
Add the trucks statistics to to your signature file, it will help with any future questions.

Good luck with your project.

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula