351M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
i have 1978 bronco ranger XLT with a 351M. i was hoping to do some tuning up myself but i dont know much about the engine. i was hoping somebody out there could give me a few answers.

what should the compression be?

ideal running temp? (my gauge wont get past cold)

takes a long time to start

tuning tips in general, more power and torque, faster throttle response, etc.

thanks

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
'Red Green Jr'

I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge, and I may be able to help you, somewhat (I am not an expert). AS you may know, over the years trucks and engines changed quite a bit. I do not know what changes took place during what years, so for me to help you more I need some information from you.

Please set in your signature file information about your truck so that I and others know some basic information, such as engine size, year, type of fuel delivery system, ie 2barrel, 4 barrel, EFI, IF you know which ignition system you have duraspark etc, or points and condensor. Other things such as tire size and type of transmission are of value also.

You can get to your sig file by going to mycontrols

I think, that before we get to making recommendations regarding modifications to make the engine stronger we should look at fixing what is wrong so that it does not take a long time to start.

Do you know how to give it a tune up?

If not let us know and we can walk you through it.

joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
i can do a basic tune up. spark plugs, gaskets etc. im a pretty good wrencher but i just dont know enough about engines to diagnose problems and know how to fix it. as for start up time, im really confused. in the morning, when its cold, it will start up within a few seconds. but when its hot and has been run for a while, i have to pump the gas and it takes about 30 seconds. i can also hear the battery wearing down as im trying to start it.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
i can do a basic tune up. spark plugs, gaskets etc. im a pretty good wrencher but i just dont know enough about engines to diagnose problems and know how to fix it. as for start up time, im really confused. in the morning, when its cold, it will start up within a few seconds. but when its hot and has been run for a while, i have to pump the gas and it takes about 30 seconds. i can also hear the battery wearing down as im trying to start it.
A couple of things that I can think of off hand are:

dirty air filter

improperly adjusted choke

vacuum leaks

Regarding the battery, give serious consideration to replacing it before winter. If it is getting weak now, when it gets cold, it may fail, and certainly at the worst possible moment.

Do you know how to adjust your choke?

OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
the air filter is clean, i just replaced it. i have a chiltons repair manual, but it doesn't help much for things like choke adjustment. it gives a big long list of thing to do that seem unnecessary to me. in short, i do not really know how to adjust the choke and i have no idea how to check for vacuum leaks.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Vacuum leaks

Look at your rubber vacuum hoses (they are about 1/4 - 3/8 inches in diameter, if they are dry rotted or cracked, replace them. IF they slip on/off of their connectors too easily, they may have stretched out a little bit, cut the ends off, and put them back on.

You may listen for a leak. Sometimes using a cut off piece of garden hose is a good aid to listen with. Sometimes a cardboard tube (like from gift wrapping paper) is helpful. Just remember that whenever you stick your head inside a running engine compartment, that you are not wearing any loose clothing or jewelry that can get caught.

Another suggestion is to use a spray can of carb cleaner and spray around the bottom of the intake manifold, and the base of the throttle body assembly. IF there is a leak, you should hear a change in your engine.

Choke adjustment

It's been 30 years since I adjusted a choke. The best that I recall is that there is a black plastic cap/cover held in place by two or three screws, on the carburetor. They usually have little index markings on them. They are usually about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. There is a coiled spring within that plastic housing (like a coiled thermometer) that expands as it gets hot and opens your choke more and more. When it gets cold, it shrinks and closes the choke more and more. To adjust it, wait for your engine to be cold. Then mark the original location of the cap. Then loosen the screws (a turn or two), and rotate the black plastic so that the choke *just* fully closes. Tighten the screws and you should be done. You may want to check it to make sure that it is fully open when the engine is hot.

Generally speaking, to start a carbureted engine, one should fully depress the gas pedal once, fully release it and then depress the pedal half-way.

OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
thanks for all the info! i will check the choke and vacuum hoses, but the quick fix for now was actually the power valve on the bottom of the carb, i wasn't expecting a new one to do much, but it keeps the engine from flooding so now it starts right up, but the battery is really starting to go bad, so im getting a new one tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23