351M flexplate install / alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Friends!
Hope everyone’s summer is going well. I managed to get up to the Bronco Rally in WI last week and it was a lot of inspiration to see how y’all get and keep these Broncos running.
I am replacing the flex plate on my 351M and it is weighted for balance. Does it matter where the counterweight is positioned when it’s mounted to engine/torque converter? It came with no installation instructions.
As always, I appreciate all help and comments. Hope you’re enjoying your weekend.
SFS

Attachments

• C2B60D68-D1AB-47F6-A346-20CF5352667D.jpeg
    C2B60D68-D1AB-47F6-A346-20CF5352667D.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2DBEEB9D-CC1F-44BC-BB70-E64A480D3E3B.jpeg
    2DBEEB9D-CC1F-44BC-BB70-E64A480D3E3B.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 2

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hello Friends!
Hope everyone’s summer is going well. I managed to get up to the Bronco Rally in WI last week and it was a lot of inspiration to see how y’all get and keep these Broncos running.
I am replacing the flex plate on my 351M and it is weighted for balance. Does it matter where the counterweight is positioned when it’s mounted to engine/torque converter? It came with no installation instructions.
As always, I appreciate all help and comments. Hope you’re enjoying your weekend.
SFS
Hey Steve, no worries, the flex plate to flywheel bolts are unevenly spaced, so it only fits one way. The converter is balanced separately, so it doesn’t matter.
If pict 2 is your engine, make sure you remove the pilot bearing before you try to install. The converter alignment hub needs to go into the flywheel where the bearing is.
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Hey Steve, no worries, the flex plate to flywheel bolts are unevenly spaced, so it only fits one way. The converter is balanced separately, so it doesn’t matter.
If pict 2 is your engine, make sure you remove the pilot bearing before you try to install. The converter alignment hub needs to go into the flywheel where the bearing is.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Thank you, Sir. Yes, engine came out of truck with a manual transmission, mine is an automatic. I had been reading up on the interface / need to remove the bearing. Thanks for the confirmation. Cheers.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thank you, Sir. Yes, engine came out of truck with a manual transmission, mine is an automatic. I had been reading up on the interface / need to remove the bearing. Thanks for the confirmation. Cheers.
All good, not sure how many pilot brgs you have removed, but an easy way to get them out is to take your grease gun and fill the cavity behind the bearing with grease, all the way till its flush with the outer edge of the bearing, then find a suitable tool (I use a 1/2” extension,12” long, and wrap black tape around the end until it barely fits in the bearing, then line it up with the hole and pound it in with a large hammer, if it bottoms before the bearing is all the way out, just repeat the process until it is. (The tighter it fits in the bearing, the faster it comes out)
Cheers

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
All good, not sure how many pilot brgs you have removed, but an easy way to get them out is to take your grease gun and fill the cavity behind the bearing with grease, all the way till its flush with the outer edge of the bearing, then find a suitable tool (I use a 1/2” extension,12” long, and wrap black tape around the end until it barely fits in the bearing, then line it up with the hole and pound it in with a large hammer, if it bottoms before the bearing is all the way out, just repeat the process until it is. (The tighter it fits in the bearing, the faster it comes out)
Cheers
I’m familiar with that method. Hopefully it comes out without too much of a problem.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers
Happy to report the pilot bearing was removed with the help of a 5/8” dowel, some tape and a little tap-tappy… and the flexplate is on. Thanks for the alignment help…. Next question. Do I need to install the torque converter with any specific amount of trans fluid? Drained most of it out when I removed it. Ok to go back in, as is?

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Happy to report the pilot bearing was removed with the help of a 5/8” dowel, some tape and a little tap-tappy… and the flexplate is on. Thanks for the alignment help…. Next question. Do I need to install the torque converter with any specific amount of trans fluid? Drained most of it out when I removed it. Ok to go back in, as is?
Way to go Happy!

You bet, the TC is the first place the fluid is pumped when you start it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke