2.9L Bronco II - Engine Improvements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraigK

Reaction score
My '87 Bronco II is on the road again, and I'm probably going to keep it for a second vehicle. However, it's always been rather low powered (2.9L TFI V6), yet it still gets fairly crappy mileage - sort of the worst of both worlds, and I'm wondering what, if any, LOW COST improvements can be made to the engine etc. to improve performance. Can more power, smoother running and/or better mileage be obtained with simple do-it-yourself type modifications (i.e. timing reset?) or low cost easy-to-install aftermarket parts? (replacement coils, air intake filter, TFI unit???). (NO headers, as I'm sure the exhaust bolts would all snap off). Although I'll likely have my hands full keeping repairs done, I would like to know what successes others have had with this engine and tranny.

Thank you.

CraigK

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
I've got an 88 bronco II that is about the same, I think. 2.9L EFI. I've changed the oil out with some 10w-40 synthetic, replaced spark plugs, and cut off the catalyctic convertor. The biggest improvement was getting rid of the cat. It really lets it exhale a little better (but with a little bit more noise). Changing the oil to synthetic seemed to help a little bit also.

rebel offroad

Reaction score
you ccan try new exhaust, headers, ummm mm m m m msd ignition mods shit like that . . .. . . something i would sugest doing is a bigger more open exhaust to alow better cooling sound and performance . .. . . i have alot of back preasure because of the stock exhaust

Last edited by a moderator:

yusuebronko2_86

Reaction score
the main problem with 88 and on b2's is the fact that they were choked off by the man. they had smaller valves, a less agressive cam, and a crappy exhaust-intake system. :angry:

as far as upgrades goes, i would start with the removal of the cat, and replace the wimpy, *****-***** 2in exhaust with either a single 2.5 to 3 inch or a 2.25 to 2.5 dual setup, just don't go with glasspacks, or John Q. Law will know what you're up to. :-& #036; oh, and putting flowmasters won't help you at all. they just sound "good." <_<

flowtech has your exhaust number. B)

next, get rid of the crappy air box setup, and find a performance filter, cone style. they're relatively cheap, and easy to clean. while you're there, take out the spring from the intake tube, it does nothing at all exept take up space.

also, an ignition upgrade from either msd or accel will definately help. this would include, but is not limited to: ignition coil, ignition wires (8mm or greater), distributer cap and rotor, good spark plugs (bosch plat. 2's work good) and if you want, the whole amplifier/controller setup. :D/

finally, pace setter has you headers for about $210. i got mine from www.AZraceplace.com . if you try to remove the exhaust bolts while the engine is still hot, they just might come out. if not, it's not hard to pull the engine out, drill out studs, and re-tap holes with a thread of your choice. if i didn't have to go to school, i could have had mine done in a couple of days, but it wasn't like that (high scool sucked) b-(

all these modifications will greatly improve gas mileage, as well as give you some more power, and a great sound to boot! :)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco