New engine for '96 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverBronco96

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forum and great to join the group. Just acquired a 1996 Bronco, EB edition, with 5.8L engine. In really good shape, with 211k miles from original owner/family. Just starting to think about restoration project, including a new or re-built engine. My mechanic is recommending a Ford reman engine (getting up to maybe 300hp), but others have suggested a new crate engine with something closer to 400-450hp. I like the idea of getting a little more power, but mechanic feels fit, quality, and integration would be equal or better with the reman, at lower cost. Also, previous owners had just put on new 6" lift kit and 35" tires, so likely changing the gearing as well. I haven't done this before, so just looking for some advice on the new/reman engine question. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1996 For Bronco XLT.png
    1996 For Bronco XLT.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forum and great to join the group. Just acquired a 1996 Bronco, EB edition, with 5.8L engine. In really good shape, with 211k miles from original owner/family. Just starting to think about restoration project, including a new or re-built engine. My mechanic is recommending a Ford reman engine (getting up to maybe 300hp), but others have suggested a new crate engine with something closer to 400-450hp. I like the idea of getting a little more power, but mechanic feels fit, quality, and integration would be equal or better with the reman, at lower cost. Also, previous owners had just put on new 6" lift kit and 35" tires, so likely changing the gearing as well. I haven't done this before, so just looking for some advice on the new/reman engine question. Thank you!
Before you buy from ANY COMPANY OR INDIVIDUAL----CHECK THEM OUT and you can find out alot about companys. Buy typeing their company name in the address bar and put COMPLAINTS at the end and enter it . It can save you alot of time--money and aggervation.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Engines are always a gamble. Warranty and customer service is important. 300 vs 400 hp they both can be pretty dependable.
So it kind of depends on what you want to do with it. If it is going to be a toy, then sure why not more hp. If you want it to be a daily driver then the backing of the ford reman warranty is pretty important.

If you ended up with a 400-450hp engine you may not need or want to change gearing. One thing about broncos and blazers, setting up the ring gear and pinion, especially if you are doing it yourself can be tedious. The back of the trucks are like echo chambers so if the tooth pattern is not right on you will get a whine out of them and in a pickup you wouldn't normally hear it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Engines are always a gamble. Warranty and customer service is important. 300 vs 400 hp they both can be pretty dependable.
So it kind of depends on what you want to do with it. If it is going to be a toy, then sure why not more hp. If you want it to be a daily driver then the backing of the ford reman warranty is pretty important.

If you ended up with a 400-450hp engine you may not need or want to change gearing. One thing about broncos and blazers, setting up the ring gear and pinion, especially if you are doing it yourself can be tedious. The back of the trucks are like echo chambers so if the tooth pattern is not right on you will get a whine out of them and in a pickup you wouldn't normally hear it.
I had this old ford pick up gave to me. All I had to do was give the battery back. As I was driving it home I could hear a wine drifting. So I bought a pinion bearing and tossed it in the glove box--forgot about it--but not th noise. Then one day I thought I ,d put it in. Which I did and it seemed strange. The old truck wasn,t talking to me. It was so QUIET. HAHA That little bad bearing --made alot noise. haha

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Tiha, where can you buy a remacture motor --buy Ford and about the description (short or long block)and price range.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Tiha, where can you buy a remacture motor --buy Ford and about the description (short or long block)and price range.
Ford dealer still has them. Can't give me a price because they are currently on back order he said. So no idea what they cost right now.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I wonder how far back they go. ?
I pticed a set of head gaskets for a 390 last night and they wanted $82. I guess they have extra set can sat on them longer. I have extra sets I bought along time ago and have some--complet gasket set--gave to me.eect These parts people get this China junk and have very little in it and expects people to payfor junk parts. I have alot of parts I had saved over the years and can look for them. I gave a friend a new Stromberg carbeurator awhile back for his flat head v-8

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I pticed a set of head gaskets for a 390 last night and they wanted $82. I guess they have extra set can sat on them longer. I have extra sets I bought along time ago and have some--complet gasket set--gave to me.eect These parts people get this China junk and have very little in it and expects people to payfor junk parts. I have alot of parts I had saved over the years and can look for them. I gave a friend a new Stromberg carbeurator awhile back for his flat head v-8
Now it has been along time since I have ordered anything from J.C. Whitney,but I got good service--name brand parts and really good service from them. Also I read where Rockauto is Americam family owned and is not a big corporation like some. I,ve got good service from them,but they do sale China junk too.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now it has been along time since I have ordered anything from J.C. Whitney,but I got good service--name brand parts and really good service from them. Also I read where Rockauto is Americam family owned and is not a big corporation like some. I,ve got good service from them,but they do sale China junk too.
You can get American made products from Gates. I bought a water pump,thermostart,gaskets,hoses and belts from them and they are good to deal with.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You can get American made products from Gates. I bought a water pump,thermostart,gaskets,hoses and belts from them and they are good to deal with.
I just looked up JC Whitney and read .Where they merged with Carparts. It never had the set uo like JC did nor did it look like it had near the stuff. Maybe I wasn,t looking at it right,but have noticed.When companys merg. Quality and service goes down and prices go up.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just looked up JC Whitney and read .Where they merged with Carparts. It never had the set uo like JC did nor did it look like it had near the stuff. Maybe I wasn,t looking at it right,but have noticed.When companys merg. Quality and service goes down and prices go up.
Mill supply in Ohio makes and sale parts for different years--and makes . They have a good supply in Ford truck and bronco parts and they are not thin. They are made in Ohio.

pblakesley16

Reaction score
I went through the same thing - for different reasons - recently. I settled on a full crate motor - just plug in and drive. Costs a little more, but worth it for me. Everything is new on it and a mild uptick in performance from stock 351W.

I did a lot of research prior to pulling the trigger- on the shop/vendor and what you want to do with it. There are literally thousands of options. Only surefire recs I can give is to do your research and find something that fits your budget and skill. I use my bronco for strictly off-road - I wanted to go fast and have a ton of torque so I could pull my jeep friends out of the mud.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Don,t see many in that color. I really like it.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Congratulations on the Bronco

Make sure you have a end goal in mind.

1) lifted trail rig less than 6 inches. re-gear needed but not absolutely necessary
2) upgraded lifted trail rig more than 6 inches. This will require a solid front axel .. and more horse power ... and a re-gear
3) daily driver with slight modifications. More horse power ... bigger engine
4) keep as close to stock as possible.

When i first started down this road 16 years ago. Broncos where cheap and everyone was slapping lifts on them ... and bouncing them off trees for entertainment. I bought a 1993 and lifted it/ re-geared/ lockers/ and big tires. A few years later I picked up a 1996 Bronco that I have left pretty much stock.

The lifted toy (1993) gets less than 9mpg and hardly ever sees use.
The daily driver (1996) get 15mpg and driven every single day.

I put almost 10,000 dollars into modifications on the 1993 and a few hundred in the 1996

The 1996 is worth significantly more than the modified 1993.

This is yours do with it as you want .... but their value is only going to go up. If your looking for a trail rig .... to beat on ... there are plenty of F150 and F250 4x4 out there, and they are not going up in value like the Broncos.

I will never forgot the story a member told me. He used to own a 1976 Bronco that he used as a trail rig. after bouncing it off rocks and trees for 10 years he finally had to scrap it .... now it would probably worth over 35,000 restored.

OP
OP
DenverBronco96

DenverBronco96

Reaction score
That was really helpful, thank you. My goal is a combination of #1, #3, and #4 above...but probably not #2. It's mostly just a fun project and something I've always wanted to do, but I'll do some moderate off-road driving (no rock climbs!), drive it some during the week for fun, and try to keep it mostly stock.
Previous owner (single owner family for 25 years) installed the 6" lift kit and 35" tires just before selling, so I'll keep those for now. Re-gearing is likely part of the plan.
Not trying to make money on it...just trying not to lose money, or spend too much on dumb or unnecessary things.
Appreciate the advice!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That was really helpful, thank you. My goal is a combination of #1, #3, and #4 above...but probably not #2. It's mostly just a fun project and something I've always wanted to do, but I'll do some moderate off-road driving (no rock climbs!), drive it some during the week for fun, and try to keep it mostly stock.
Previous owner (single owner family for 25 years) installed the 6" lift kit and 35" tires just before selling, so I'll keep those for now. Re-gearing is likely part of the plan.
Not trying to make money on it...just trying not to lose money, or spend too much on dumb or unnecessary things.
Appreciate the advice!
Well figure out the most you can afford and when you want it on the road. How much work you want someone to do. The more work out--will climb up fast and people will take advantage of you and do short cuts. What you want the truck to do? The more power--harder it is on gas. To impress people or yourself. Only questions you can answer. The height,tires---adds up and some work is harder on some parts and they wear out quicker. How many trucks you see running baround whit great big tires and a SPARE? Not many. Everything you do to it--takes some consideration. Listen to advice of some of the people on hear and it can save you alot of time--money and troubles.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I hear you ..... but your rig is beautiful.

There is no way in **** I would beat on her. She would be a mall crawler and never taken on a dirt road.

I'm also a cheap bastard .... and make the exact same statement to the new Bronco owners... who drop 75,000 on a brand new Beautiful Bronco ... only to take it in the mud and beat on her.

These OBS Broncos are classic and just plain awesome. I'm getting ready to start taking my 1996 Bronco to classic car shows and hang out with that crowd. I can guarantee 99% of those cars hardly ever see daylight. Most are garage queens that get driven to car shows every few months ... and only then in the summer.

As far as an engine refresh. These are huge heavy beasts. They are not made to go fast. I see a lot of folks go down the rabbit hole of chasing power in a fullsize Bronco. You can get a stroker kit, new heads, and a brand new long block. Are you really going to see a dramatic power increase in a lead sled ... probably not. Especially since the lighter ... boosted ... Ford family will get you there a lot cheaper ..... and give you decent MPG. Once you get everything upgraded on your drivetrain your MPG will be absolute garbage ... and that little Ford Flex with a twin turbo V6 ..... will blow your doors off ...... and still get over 18mpg. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT IN A OBS FORD

These are tanks ... if you really want to make it awesome .. don't hold back. Get you a 460.... one ton suspension... and drive over anything in your way...... but then again isn't that what a 4x4 F350 with a 7.3l diesel is suppose to be for?

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I hear you ..... but your rig is beautiful.

There is no way in **** I would beat on her. She would be a mall crawler and never taken on a dirt road.

I'm also a cheap bastard .... and make the exact same statement to the new Bronco owners... who drop 75,000 on a brand new Beautiful Bronco ... only to take it in the mud and beat on her.

These OBS Broncos are classic and just plain awesome. I'm getting ready to start taking my 1996 Bronco to classic car shows and hang out with that crowd. I can guarantee 99% of those cars hardly ever see daylight. Most are garage queens that get driven to car shows every few months ... and only then in the summer.

As far as an engine refresh. These are huge heavy beasts. They are not made to go fast. I see a lot of folks go down the rabbit hole of chasing power in a fullsize Bronco. You can get a stroker kit, new heads, and a brand new long block. Are you really going to see a dramatic power increase in a lead sled ... probably not. Especially since the lighter ... boosted ... Ford family will get you there a lot cheaper ..... and give you decent MPG. Once you get everything upgraded on your drivetrain your MPG will be absolute garbage ... and that little Ford Flex with a twin turbo V6 ..... will blow your doors off ...... and still get over 18mpg. YOU WILL NEVER GET THAT IN A OBS FORD

These are tanks ... if you really want to make it awesome .. don't hold back. Get you a 460.... one ton suspension... and drive over anything in your way...... but then again isn't that what a 4x4 F350 with a 7.3l diesel is suppose to be for?
Now tha diesel is higher then gas. The prices should be coming down on them. I heard people were trading them in now because of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo