1996 Bronco Not Planned Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You are asking for a show quality job, that is tough.

We would "cut in" the door frame and door, with hinges on the door. No weather stripping.

basically paint the door jamb and inside and edges of the door with the door laying on saw horses. Same with fenders, hood. Tailgate.

After they are dry you install. Touch up the door hinges before installing fenders. Touch up hood hinges, tailgate hinges.

Then install front fenders. Touch up mounting bolts.

then paint the whole truck.

Afterwards we would hand rub the jambs to blend the over spray that came in around the door and tailgate area.

Not sure how this would work with a 2 part system with base coat clear coat. You will end up with dry looking areas no matter what you try and not sure how many painters are even willing to do that much work anymore.
We were always doing it for ourselves at our pace.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
How funny, Well i just got married a few weeks ag, so i'm not that brave right now. My mom and dad have been happily married for 64 years now. When i got married my Dad told me there is a secret to staying married. He said always remember these two words, "Yes Dear" I

johnnyreb

Reaction score
He,s right. ,but a person can only agree to so much. I spend money on old vehicles and she gets to spend more on her needs. So she can,nt complain much .

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
You are asking for a show quality job, that is tough.

We would "cut in" the door frame and door, with hinges on the door. No weather stripping.

basically paint the door jamb and inside and edges of the door with the door laying on saw horses. Same with fenders, hood. Tailgate.

After they are dry you install. Touch up the door hinges before installing fenders. Touch up hood hinges, tailgate hinges.

Then install front fenders. Touch up mounting bolts.

then paint the whole truck.

Afterwards we would hand rub the jambs to blend the over spray that came in around the door and tailgate area.

Not sure how this would work with a 2 part system with base coat clear coat. You will end up with dry looking areas no matter what you try and not sure how many painters are even willing to do that much work anymore.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Tiha, that is exactly how i am planning on painting it. I'm trying to do as much of the tedious and the boring prep work that most painter either don't want to do or I can't afford for them to do. I have talked to a lot of painters lately and they don't really want to spend the time cutting in as much as i want. I can understand some of it but why short cut it now, I've gone overboard on everything so far.

Richard Scarbrough

Reaction score
When I do things that cost me time or money I call it "Taking a Seminar" and if we lived 200 to 300 years we could do a lot of things wrong and be OK, BUT we only have a few short decades to get it all together, SO the more we learn from each other, hopefully the less mistakes we will make, NOW I have bought 4 vehicles in the last 18 months "sight unseen" BUT make an offer "subject to inspection" and use a company called LemonSquad to do the inspection and I am sure there are others.
See that nice picture attached, that is one we DID NOT buy after getting the inspection report. Hope this info helps someone
AND I need a source for a 60/40 front seat for 95 Bronco that will bolt right in, DO y'all have any ideas? Thank You Richard in Memphis TN

Attachments

• Bronco 95 Picture from Michigan.jpg
    Bronco 95 Picture from Michigan.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 7

johnnyreb

Reaction score
When I do things that cost me time or money I call it "Taking a Seminar" and if we lived 200 to 300 years we could do a lot of things wrong and be OK, BUT we only have a few short decades to get it all together, SO the more we learn from each other, hopefully the less mistakes we will make, NOW I have bought 4 vehicles in the last 18 months "sight unseen" BUT make an offer "subject to inspection" and use a company called LemonSquad to do the inspection and I am sure there are others.
See that nice picture attached, that is one we DID NOT buy after getting the inspection report. Hope this info helps someone
AND I need a source for a 60/40 front seat for 95 Bronco that will bolt right in, DO y'all have any ideas? Thank You Richard in Memphis TN
Real smart idea.

Popoagie6

Reaction score
Makes me wonder what my 95 would take to restore. I get lots of guys commenting on how great it is when I got to the store, but it's never been restored or anything. Just not abused. A little neglected in appearance but it works well. Two owners, first a govt agency and then me, a teacher just trying to stay on the road in the mountains but then moved it south quickly. Hmmm....about to sell. Considering price. Several cash offers in the last year from people walking by. Was going to get it detailed but people kept calling it "clean" so I guess I'll just sell it locally. Lots of rich, retired car buffs looking for a project so they can show it off at the annual vintage car show. Never sold a car before. Kept this one for 19 years and counting. BTW, I agree with RonnieW on the secret to staying married. Saw a book once written by a marriage counselor who did his own study and found that both men and women were happiest in marriages where the man deferred to the woman. Interesting. I should find myself one of those. I'm nice, so we'd both be happy. Anyway...I have books to write, so this will be someone else's project. Good luck with yours. Don't **** yourself over it or lose your marriage. Not worth it. Cool you have those skills, though.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Hello everyone,, I haven't been posting or working on the Bronco Restoration for awhile because i was grounded by the wife because i was playing on the Bronco before I finished our Hurricane damaged house. So To keep from having to sleep with one eye open i decided to give it a break. I got some time this past weekend to work on it and i've updated my restoration pictures. I've still got to pull motor and then the body so i can have the frame blasted and maybe power coated. That part but i'm not yet knowledgeable enough to decide on that or paint it. Hopefully if i don't get into trouble again this week i can finish pulling the motor and send it off to be rebuilt. Just a quick question for someone up on the interior painting, its 1996 Bronco, opal gray (H6) what kind of paint would be used for the dash. Im pretty good on the outside stuff,, just not smart on the inside paint type and steps

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Ron,
Find an automotive paint store in your local area and request a spray can of automotive vinyl spray mixed to your specific color code. The paint store personnel can help you find the color code for your vehicle and mix up a batch for as much as needed. Ask for spraying on a metal section as well, if needed.
GL!

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Yo Ron,
Find an automotive paint store in your local area and request a spray can of automotive vinyl spray mixed to your specific color code. The paint store personnel can help you find the color code for your vehicle and mix up a batch for as much as needed. Ask for spraying on a metal section as well, if needed.
GL!
Yeah i was wondering about the spray bombs. I wasn't too sure about the durability without a hardener. I've painted door panels before but they never seemed to held up, especially where your arm rest

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Ron,
I saved the following awhile ago when restoring the tailgate on our ex 78 Bronco;
"
Advanced rattle can use: Aerosols you buy at the parts store are pretty limited. Limited to 1K (though there are some 2K aerosols now hitting the market). Limited to color or product you can get. But there are a few ways to use aerosol technology in your projects. You can move up to unlimited color, and product choice, even hardener!

One is to have cans “Custom filled”. This is a really neat process where the paint store puts the paint of your choice in an “empty” can (it already has the solvent and propellant in it). The “empty” can looks just like a normal aerosol, it simply has no paint product in it. The paint store employee puts this aerosol in a “press” like device. A funnel is install right into the top of the pickup tube where the nozzle fits. This funnel is actually a cylinder in which a piston is installed, after the cylinder is filled with paint product. The piston is pushed down with a manual handle or even air powered ram.

You then have an aerosol with any product you want, as long as it is compatible with the solvent in the can. They were limited to lacquer, synthetic enamel and enamel. There are now “universal” fillable cans that will take darn near anything. I have even seen a guy mix the hardener in with the enamel paint, rush home and paint with it before the paint “kicked”. Sounds crazy, but it worked.

Another way is with a “Preval” system. I don’t know of any other brand names but there may be others. This is a glass jar with a removable, replaceable propellant can that screws on the top. The disposable propellant can has the pick up tube hanging off the bottom that goes down into the bottom of the glass jar into the paint product. The top has the nozzle just like a regular aerosol. I am sure you get the idea. Any paint product can be put in the jar and sprayed. This includes epoxies, or urethanes using hardener. Is that cool or what?

Some products may need some over reducing to get them out of the nozzle. Some may not work at all because of their high viscosity like polyester primer. But your range is much wider with these two advanced aerosol systems."
See the URL for the complete article in attached screen shot because for some reason I can no longer post URLs here or in other sites.
Al
Screenshot_20220208-081612_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
How in the **** do you get these things out,, Ive pulled every muscle in my back and i barley knocked the dirt off of it much less pull one out.

Attachments

• Body Bushing.jpg
    Body Bushing.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 4

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you replacing them?

I usually use a sawzall and cut them. Never tried to get them out in one piece before. Yours is a lot cleaner than anything I ever work on. I usually can't get the bolts out either.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Are you replacing them?

I usually use a sawzall and cut them. Never tried to get them out in one piece before. Yours is a lot cleaner than anything I ever work on. I usually can't get the bolts out either.
I have new bushings but i cant find the metal inserts to replace if i cut them. Just one of the many things i have not done before

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have new bushings but i cant find the metal inserts to replace if i cut them. Just one of the many things i have not done before
Have you tried Jeff,s Bronco or the memember up in Michigan? Can,nt think of his name. He scraps all different yeARS OUT AND SALES PARTS . Or making them?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking we have used a air hammer to push those metal sleeves out but I don't think you can do it without bending them up.

Not sure about the rubber bushings but all the aftermarket ones had their own sleeves to use.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I am thinking we have used a air hammer to push those metal sleeves out but I don't think you can do it without bending them up.

Not sure about the rubber bushings but all the aftermarket ones had their own sleeves to use.
i,m thinking about doing the same thing when it starts warming back up. I have body bushing and was wondering if their is anything else that might need to be changed?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well from metal part where the bushing sets down on. Its mostly rusted up. If the body was off. I,d put in a thicker piece of metlal. If just replaing the bushings and metal parts go with them--I,d look around od make them.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Hammered it, BFH it, giant punch, crow barred it. Can’t get it 🤣

Attachments

• 4CE47D77-F22D-4852-8082-DBBC8280A630.jpeg
    4CE47D77-F22D-4852-8082-DBBC8280A630.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 1
  • BB83E872-7C58-4C09-A0DD-E7A574CB9B1C.jpeg
    BB83E872-7C58-4C09-A0DD-E7A574CB9B1C.jpeg