1990 bronco engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco chris

Reaction score
Hi there guys, I bought a 1990 ford bronco eddie bauer. The engines life is coming too an end and the transmission is not allways going into gear. I would like to rebuild the truck into a offroad rig but not sure what type of engine or transmission I should go with. Not sure if this is the place to post but any help would be appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Chris,
Welcome!
Where will the majority of off-roading be done?
In desert or up hills, mudding, etc.?

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by Mrs BroncMom

Al

OP
OP
B

Bronco chris

Reaction score
yo Chris,
Welcome!
Where will the majority of off-roading be done?
In desert or up hills, mudding, etc.?

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by Mrs BroncMom

Al
Thanks for the reply.

Most of my offloading will be mudding and in deep snow, also lots of good intermediate long trails to drive In my area. I'm in a area surrounded by mountains and rivers.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, I bought a 1990 ford bronco eddie bauer. The engines life is coming too an end and the transmission is not allways going into gear. I would like to rebuild the truck into a offroad rig but not sure what type of engine or transmission I should go with. Not sure if this is the place to post but any help would be appreciated.

What engine and trans do you have in it currently?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The 5.8 you have is not a terrible choice. Rebuilding is probably cheaper than anything else you can put in there.

Mud can take a lot of torque. Gearing will get a long ways, but in the end if you are thinking serious long term off road, big tires then might want to look at a 460.

But for mixed driving I would stick with the 5.8. Great aftermarket support, cheap to own and maintain.

chrlsful

Reaction score
ck into the i6. Research the difference btwn 6 and 8 connecting rods ona circle (the crank). U will C the low rev tq advantage of the i6 in reducing tire spin. Ford hada great one made 36 yrs - even into the efi period. May B when this one blows U would consider (I put in the 4.1L for the dwn sized bronk) The MSOD is a lill weak by some off rder's standards and ZF or the NV/NP 5 speeds R enjoyed (if a 70% on rd, 30% off. Plus th ZF has TWO pto ports - important to me 4 wrk as mine is not a rec vehicle). Not up on the autos (cept C-4 and AOD). C4 does well w/after mrkt support (upgrades) takes 500HP's tq is very light and least parasitic of the autos. Only 3 speed tho. AOD is 4, non ele (no puter), have not heard abt its off rd prowess, weight, tq ability...

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I have both a 5.8 and a 5.0.

I will keep the 5.0 stock and end up re-building the 302 when the time comes. This is my daily driver so I want some kind of gas mileage. I absolutely love the 300 6 cylinder and if i could find a 1996 or newer donor 4x4 with a 300 I would go that route … but Ford did not make that easy....

When the 5.8 kicks … it is time for the 460 upgrade. If it is just a weekend wheeler then I think a big block is the way to go. A 400 would also be nice.

Currently the 5.8 has a bad E4OD. I want to ditch the slush box and have been looking for a F250 with a 5.8/ ZF manual/ and maybe a nice solid front axel. My limiting factor is that I want to upgrade to MAF and OB2 on the 5.8. My 302 is a 1996 and already has the upgrades and I absolutely love them. Finding a nice 4x4 EFI 460 in anything newer than 1996 is a challenge. Most went diesel in anything bigger than a F150 …. and the F250 still tends to cost around 10,000 …. and that is a little too much for a ride I plan to disassemble and use for parts.

Are you planning on staying with the 1990's EFI set up … or ditching the EFI for a carb?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke