460/C6 swap-in progress!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Now working on swapping the complete drivetrain from an 88 F-350 4WD into my 84 Bronco. Pulled the 460, C6, and B-W 13-56 this past weekend from the 88, taking some time to clean off the grime. Also going to install the front Dana60 and rear Sterling 10.25" under the Bronco, those come out weekend after next. Will post a few pics and tips along the way, and welcome any helpful advice on the swap. JSM84

Link to the 460 swap pics at supermotors.net:

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...ry/1133/52866-4

Link to the Dana 60 swap pics:

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford...ry/1133/51970-4

Pulling the 460 from the 88 F-350:

87f35014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
mbtech, that's my S&W cage kit, without the rear kickers attached:

cagekit86.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Performance mods? Yes, still researching that. I am ditching the stock EFI system ( a real dog) and putting a carb on the lower EFI intake manifold, and headers. For now, I'm leaving the internals alone, unless i can score a good set of heads. JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Update:

Ran into a big problem with the 460. WHile cleaning it up a bit and looking for the source of a small oil leak, I noticed a few bolts missing from the exhaust manifolds on both sides. Both bolts on no. 1 and no. 8 cylinders!!! One bolt was missing per side, but the other two were each broke off by the P.O. inside the heads... :angry:

I was able to drill out the remains of both bolts, and re-tap the threads. I'll try to use a exhaust manifold stud and Loctite for each of these two holes, and hope the headers will fit without leaking. I spent about two days on this and just finding a 3/8" tap that would work, but it beats paying a machine shop $75 per hole.

And the oil leak appears to be from the intake manifold gasket at the rear of the motor. I need to replace one freeze plug, as it looks kinda rusty. I also ordered a special carb spacer/adapter to allow mounting a carb on top of the EFI intake manifold. THat way, I can use the intake and E7TE heads. Just need to change out the ditributor, too. JSM84

Pic of the motor, and trying to remove one broken bolt with an extractor. Too tight, and the extraxtor stripped out the hole drilled into the piece of the bolt. Also tried an easy-out with no success.

87f35022.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
A regular OEM or aftermarket intake for a carbed 460 will not fit the EFI heads. So, to run a carb, I thought I'd have to find a carb, intake, and older heads from a carbed motor. I'm using an adapter to mount a carb onto the EFI intake and plugging the injector holes instead. JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Pulled the front TTB axle and lift kit out of the Bronco today, ready for the front Dana60 this weekend:

84sas4.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
And now the front Dana60 in place, with the rear leaf springs ( still need to mount shocks):

84sas12.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Everything is coming off of the 88 F350: motor, tranny, t-case, both axles, brackets, etc. I'll have to change the front driveshaft or have one made with a CV joint due to the front pinion angle.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Update: I ran into some problems using the F350 rear leaves up front (mainly bad caster angle), so for now I installed the stock F350 front leaves. Lost some of the lift, but still about 4-5" over stock:

84sas31.jpg

Just ran out of daylight today on the 460. Replaced one rusty freeze plug, pulled the dizzy and intake manifold. Hope to tidy it up and put the motor into the Bronco next weekend, JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Man, I'm slow!!! Still don't have the motor installed, ran into more stubborn bolts. Pulled the alternator and smog pump bracket, broke the smog pump bolt. Working on the A/C and ps pump bracket now. Lots of details, but it's easier to work on the 460 while it's outside of the Bronco. Maybe this weekend???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane