Thinking about a 460 swap in my 84 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtw002

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pretty nice all original 84 bronco 351w w/4 speed manual trans. I only paid $250 for the bronco, clean title, however it has a locked up motor. I've looked around for something to swap in it and have found a 351m (81 bronco) and a 460 (84 f350 4x4 4speed SRW). Now I've been searching every forum on the old interweb and have read that as long as the donor is the same year it is a fairly easy swap. Is this true? I read that I'll have to swap the motor mount horns, is this true? would it be easier just to swap the front and rear end out of the 84 f350 (8lug) instead of trying to cut out the horns? Will the manifolds/oil pan and everything else from the 84 f350 swap right over to the 84 bronco? I'm taking off tomorrow morning to drive down to Anchorage to look at the f350 (6hr drive). Any words of wisdom would be great. I'll be picking it up for $300 (running/driving) the body is super rusty.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi MTW.., welcome..!

IMHO, it doesn't sound like you have experience with this type of project...? (it's a big undertaking)

The simplest path is a short block or a crate engine.

Our board  "guru" with a libuary of info. on these tasks (unlike eng. swaps) is indisposed at this time.

The extra weight of the BB Ford eng. may affect suspension/handling, etc.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto Bob, it's not just an issue of installing a 406 and then you have a super Bronco.  If done properly, at the least you will have to beef up the front end suspension.  The 460 weighs a heck of a lot more than a 351.  Also, since it has a lot more torque which means the running gear should be upgraded so you don't hear snapping and popping when you step on it.

:)>-

OP
OP
M

mtw002

Reaction score
First 4wd swap yes, I've worked on a lot of vehicles and built plenty of cars. I figured it would require more which is why I'm on here asking :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just picked up the 84 f350 today. On way home with it now... I got it for free - diesel to pick it up. And it runs great. So I'm in this bronco only $350

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
MTW..., please keep us informed with your progress.... [-o<

It seems everyone on this board who do this.., disappear, never to be heard from again...?? :huh:

It would be very interesting to see (especially performance) .., including pics if possible.

TKS.,

Bob

OP
OP
M

mtw002

Reaction score
Well I broke the 351w free yesterday and it runs well.... only current problem is the 4 speed floor shifter pulls out of the top of the trans. The metal bushing/sleeve/retainer that holds it in is worn bad and won't stay locked to the pins. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj