460/C6 swap-in progress!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
Awesome setup, dude. That is what I'd like to do one day. As for now, I just want mine up and running right!

Let us know how it runs with a beast in the bay and get some off-road pictures!

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The UPS dude just came by, dropped off my new carb and other parts!!! :D/

Ordered a 770cfm Holley Truck Avenger, and a TransDapt remote, dual-oil filter kit to re-locate the filter. My carb adapter from Price Motorsports came in last Friday, it looks awesome!!! Just need to get a fuel cell, electric pump and some hoses, fitting, etc. to complete the fuel system. JSM84

84sas44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

seawalkersee

Reaction score
The broken bolts on the exhaust is a common problem with the EFI 460s. There were quite a few problems with them. They had REALLY short cams. Like .222 lifts. You can REALLY pick up the power with some of the performace parts. The intake was also really restrictive so as soon as you get an older set of heads, I suggest going through the top end. You will thank me later.

Chris

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yes, I'm working on a deal for an older set of carbed heads and intake manifold. Once I get those, they'll go on at a later date. For right now, I want to get this motor running and check out the suspension.

My next phase of work after installing the tranny and t-case is to re-wire the Bronco. Looking at Ron Francis.com for a custom-made harness. JSM84

Bonehead Bronco

Reaction score
what kind of bracketry did u need for the front end? I'm gonna be doing bout the same with a 74 F-100 390 solid D44 C6. Hopefully I can get it all in there with not much fuss, but I'm sure I will run into similar problems.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Bonehead, I'm using the stock brackets on the 88 460. I did remove the smog pump and A/C compressor, and will likely replace the old stock alternator and swap the power steering pump to better units. IF you need specific brackets for your motor, check with L&L Products. Bronco Graveyard also sells L&L's parts.

freak

Reaction score
I was just reading your post justshootme.I had a friend who just sold his old style aluminum cobra jet head's.They would of worked with the piston's in your new 460.The new Cobra jet aluminum head's are a John Kasse design and wouldn't of fit.He sold them for 750 buck's and were only on his motor for a year. He's still got the 1050 dominator.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Update: Got the C-6 tranny installed last weekend, had to notch the engine crossmember to get the stock oil filter adapter to fit. Will also have to use a shorter filter (NAPA part # 21085), as the one on there now hits the steering gear box. Finally got the fuel cell and rest of the plumbing for the fuel system. Swapping the F-350 master cylinder and brake booster onto the Bronco brake lines. Still need a distributor, prolly going with a cheap HEI dizzy off of ebay. The wiring is the last thing to get, still looking at options there. Pics uploaded at superford.org of recent mods, JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks!!! I also found a pair of DOVE-C heads yesterday. After rebuilding these and some porting, I'll swap them with a carbed intake later on. JSM84

mbtech2003

Reaction score
i'm picking up a 390 on satruday for free. are they anygood?? the guy said it came out running just the car was rotted

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
MB, I don't know much about the FE series motors like the 390cid, except it may be harder to find parts/upgrades for it than a 302/351W.

I put the c-6 tranny in, and now have an NP208 t-case bolted in the Bronco. The F-350 single tranny mount was too tall, and the C-6 hit the floorpan. I re-used the original Bronco C-6 tranny crossmember and mounts. Ford wanted $110 for new bushings for the x-member, so I bought some poly's for a 78/79 Bronco from Bronco Graveyard for $35. These bushings are the same height as the OEM units, but have a smaller-diameter center. I bought some big flat washers that fit the poly's, and welded those washers to the underside of the x-member. Tranny now sits at stock height, with two-fingers clearance under the floor. I can't post pics here, but have a couple at superford.org under "460 swap". JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Update: finished installing the fuel system, HEI distributor, radiator, hoses, and some other parts. Removed the A/C and heater parts, fabbed some plates to cover the holes in the firewall. I'm thinking of routing my air intake into the cab thru one of those holes. This would keep mud out of the intake, and the HEI cap hits a stock 14" air cleaner base on the carb. Wil lhave to modify my Shaker, too.

JSM84

fuelsystem5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj