What Synthetic Tranny fluid do I need to buy for Transfer case?= how m

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski.dive

Reaction score
This is for the TRANSFER CASE 'NOT the transmission.

What Synthetic Tranny fluid do I need to buy for Transfer case?

How many quarts 2?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

As Ron advised and FYI and posterity:

Is it the Borg Warner 1356?

See the 1356 Identification Tag pic in a 90

Source: by Wolfchant

bw1356id.jpg

The model number is cast into the rear housing, and sometimes stamped into an ID tag on a tailhousing bolt. by Steve

1356 Fluid Drain & Fill Plug Size; "...It's a 10mm square hole. People strip out the plugs when they use a 3/8" extension which is slightly smaller than 10mm plus extensions do not have sharp edges/corners which makes it worse..."

Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy)

1356 Fluid Plug Location; "...you should see two bolts in the back side (rear driveshaft side) closest to the rear driveshaft and higher up is the fill plug and way over to the left, near the bottom is the drain plug..." by Zach K (BurnedB, BurnedBronco, Badassbronco)

http://web.archive.org/web/20140708150024/http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/586647/fullsize/bw-1356.jpg

http://arrc.ebscohost.com/statics/p5/images/sm/isbn_graphics_complete/8828/chiltonimages/8828/88281p06.jpg

Drain plug

The transfer case is serviced at the same time and in the same manner as the transmission. Clean the area around the filler and drain plugs and remove the filler plug on the side of the transfer case. Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the transfer case and allow the lubricant to drain completely.

Clean and install the drain plug. Add the proper lubricant. See the section on level checks.

Remove the transfer case fill plug located on the left side of the transfer case. The fluid level should be up to the fill hole. If lubricant doesn't run out when the plug is removed, add lubricant until it does run out and then replace the fill plug.

Bronco87autohub

Reaction score
I have the BW 13-56 transfer case and would like to change the fluid. The local Ford dealer said Mercon V is fine. I phoned a second dealer as was told Mercon LV. None of the dealers have the specs for 1987 and the staff are young so I'm not convinced the recommendations are correct. Canadian Tire is suggesting Motomaster Dexron/Mercon. Any suggestions?!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Mercon LV is fine, The transfercase is pretty forgiving. Any synthetic transmission fluid should be fine in there.

Originally it was meant to be the same as the trans. So 1987 was Mercon/Dexron 2 or 3? Can't remember. But it probably was not synthetic back then.

As the oils continue to improve, the new ones are suppose to contain the required additives for the older ones.

If you want to keep it simple, run what it is in your transmission. Otherwise just grab whatever synthetic auto trans fluid that is on sale at the local parts store.

Products like Mobil 1 ATF might be better in some ways, but the fact that you are changing it is more than most people ever do.

Bronco87autohub

Reaction score
Than
Mercon LV is fine, The transfercase is pretty forgiving. Any synthetic transmission fluid should be fine in there.

Originally it was meant to be the same as the trans. So 1987 was Mercon/Dexron 2 or 3? Can't remember. But it probably was not synthetic back then.

As the oils continue to improve, the new ones are suppose to contain the required additives for the older ones.

If you want to keep it simple, run what it is in your transmission. Otherwise just grab whatever synthetic auto trans fluid that is on sale at the local parts store.

Products like Mobil 1 ATF might be better in some ways, but the fact that you are changing it is more than most people ever do.
Thanks for your help. I do agree with you that any ATF fluid is better than what's in it. My transfer case has fluid that is at least 16 years old as the truck has sat for 11 years and I've spent almost 4 years re-doing things on it to get it running and i do not remember ever having the fluid changed in the TC. I went into AutoValue (on the advice of the Ford dealership) and and older staff member cross referenced the old Ford Mercon/ GM Dexron equivalents to today with Pennzoil AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, for older pre 2006 vehicles. I am going to go with this as my replacement transfer case fluid and see how this works.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Than

Thanks for your help. I do agree with you that any ATF fluid is better than what's in it. My transfer case has fluid that is at least 16 years old as the truck has sat for 11 years and I've spent almost 4 years re-doing things on it to get it running and i do not remember ever having the fluid changed in the TC. I went into AutoValue (on the advice of the Ford dealership) and and older staff member cross referenced the old Ford Mercon/ GM Dexron equivalents to today with Pennzoil AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, for older pre 2006 vehicles. I am going to go with this as my replacement transfer case fluid and see how this works.
Honestly the only time it really matters is if there is a clutch in the T\case. Then you need the correct friction modifiers. (Hence the LV, SP, EIEIO ;))
Gears and bearings don't care.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat