What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Js32274

Reaction score
What is this metal switch under my dash? I have no idea what it is?

Attachments

• C84FC1C9-C9E6-4A71-9518-E40A3853EBB1.jpeg
    C84FC1C9-C9E6-4A71-9518-E40A3853EBB1.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 10

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
It’s going to something aftermarket, my guess auxiliary lights, or was at one point.

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
What is this metal switch under my dash? I have no idea what it is?
A couple ideas.

As Notaveg suggested, lights would be one good guess, or possibly a winch.
Are there any mounting holes or signs of missing brackets on the roof or front end of the frame or one of the bumpers? That might give you a clue.

It could be also have been used/be being used as part of an alternative/work-around or replacement circuit to get something original working that wasn't.

If you can trace the wiring, the wire gauge AND/OR strength and presence of a fuse or circuit breaker or relay, or fusible link (if there IS one) might give an idea of how much current it was intended to control. Very thick wiring and a high amp rating on the switch is likelier for something that's a big draw running without using a relay.

A common possibility that would not need heavy wiring is the fuel pump or ignition circuit.
Either a manual switch to bypass a problem in the original wiring or that someone added as a no-start switch to help make it harder to steal the truck.

The switch placement says that they weren't necessarily trying to HIDE the location-just not make it instantly obvious, but it sure looks to be in a odd place, one that could easily get accidentally tripped.

If the wiring is still live, you can always try both positions and see if anything stops working........

Last edited:
OP
OP
Js32274

Js32274

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am so happy I found this board. All of you are very helpful, thanks for that.

I got in touch with the previous owner and he said he thought it might have gone to fog lights that use to be on it…who knows.

chrlsful

Reaction score
not very definitive.
"...who knows..."
U will want to. (May OR may not - Y B uncertain?) come up to bite U later and is VERY simple to get to the awnsr. TRACE it.

Any new-to-U vehicle needs this process. What are the components (it's a 40 y/o system. OPs could have done anything over that time) on this specific rig? Which R Not oe, Y? Which R? What is their capacity? Is there a better component? Y? Will it wrk w/the others I have on there now?
/OR/
just drive around, when something happens, have no clue, get a surprise and get a clue in an emergency situation that needs a work out plan~

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane