vin # advice/opinions on '66 restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdgary

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for advice and am interested in hearing other experiences especially if they are similar.

I purchased a "66 wagon on an impulse without doing much research. 

Short story:

The vehicle has a North Carolina state issued vin # on the title and on two places on the body.

Q. Is a numbers matching/factory restoration going to be a waste of money given that the vin # isn't U15---etc?

Long story:

I went to look at the bronco. It ran decent and was in ok shape for a 66.

The vin on the title looked to  match the worn tag on the kick plate.

I purchased the vehicle.

As I began to clean it up I realized that the title # didn't match the one on the frame  so I removed the kick panel tag to read it from behind.

Great news! The numbers match. But the title is a couple digits off. I suppose they just guessed at the worn numbers when it was last titled.

I brought the bronco, title, and kick panel tag to the drivers license facility and was told that because the vehicle #s didn't match the title, and because I removed the body tag (for confirmation purposes only) that I would need to have it titled under an NC state # NC43----etc.

I am in the tear down process now and will be restoring the vehicle either way. Just don't know to what extent i should go with her.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeremy 

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone !!!!

Not sure what your question is.  Sounds like the MV dept. gave you a way to resolve the problem.

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Jeremy.., welcome..! 

This is a bit confusing...,  and strange what NC does...?

If I were you.., I'd talk to some antique/hot-rod car clubs & see what they do in these cases.

If there's U15******** numbers anywhere on the vehicle, I'd try to get it titled in those numbers if possible.

Even if it means doing it in another state. 

At your local DMV.., ask to see the Department Head/Manager.  I've cleared up some title issues simply by doing that.

At the end of the day.., any tagged & paper title is good & wouldn't affect the value much, if at all.

Lastly.., give us some pics..!   inside, outside, front, back, underneath.... (is this vehicle "stock"..?)

This way we can tell you if it is, in fact, a 1966 year model.

OP
OP
J

jdgary

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I guess it's just a question of authenticity. The extra expense and effort to do a numbers matching restoration. Espesially since its a 66. That when finished wouldn't have a bronco vin #.

The problem as I see it would be the state issued vin# on the vehicle and title rather than the Ford number. If that would even be an issue.

My frame and tag match but I was sent to the highway patrol theft department because the sellers title read J15fl761660 when it should have been U15fl761664.

They had to do a theft search which came up clean.

The officer gave me a hard time because I took the tag off the kick panel and issued me the new vin. I did everything short of bribing him to let me just come back with the tag back in place but he was a hard ass.

I'll reach out to some car clubs. Maybe a classic vehicle auction company could give me some advice too.

I'm not sure where to upload pics on this forum but I'll post some if you help me with that too. Lol

She's got the 66 tailgate, eyebrow grill, rain gutter above the pedals etc.

I did a lot more research once I bought it. Lol

Thanks again, Jeremy

Seabronc

Reaction score
When you Reply, there is a "More Reply Options" in the bottom right corner.  Clicking on that button brings up an "Attach Files" option on the bottom left.  Choose the file you want to display and then click on "Attach This File" keep doing that until all of your picture files are attached and then click on "Add Reply".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Lower right of a reply.., you'll see (click) more reply options.

Then lower left you'll see "browse"

Select pics off your files

click attach this file.

I just did..........

BTW.., what's diff. about the (66-77) tailgate?.., what's eyebrow grill..?  I have the "catch" gutter &

thought they all had that.

Drivetrain..........!!.jpg

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hery jdgary,

Welcome.

Back to your original question... A numbers matching restoration refers to a vehicle restored to and having the original frame/ body and drivetrain that it left the factory with along with all the other factory parts including paint color as well as factory and assembly markings. ( that VIN tag would have to go back on with the exact type of fasteners it originally came with.)  These vehicles are of greater value because it is rare and a large amount of work is done to achieve those results. This vehicle would be of greater value when compared to the same vehicle that didn't have all components matching the build sheet.

If your goal is to have the highest grade and condition rated restoration then it would be in your best interest to strive to get the title to reflect the original as built VIN.

If you are not really doing that full restoration greatest rating path, then just a paper trail of explanation for the VINs would suffice. 

Hope this helps.

Good luck 

OP
OP
J

jdgary

Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice!

I'm mostly on here via my phone so maybe that's why I don't see any extra reply options. I'll take a look when I get home to the desktop.

Thanks, Jeremy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23