Project ‘66 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel57

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. I have a 66 Bronco that belonged to my Dad and was purchased in 66 by my Grandfather. Not sure what I am getting into. I don’t have the time to put into restore myself. I am looking for someone to ballpark what a full restore is going to cost. The truck is in very rough shape. It needs a complete body overhaul. Engine (probably transmission too) needs to be rebuilt. Frame is in good shape. It is the 6 cylinder and column shift 3 speed. Can anybody let me know what something this will cost or am I better off selling to someone who has time to put into it?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Hopefully someone else has some good info more specific to the bronco based on your location.

It is tough to find someone. Considering the time it takes to do a job like that, most of the shops I have dealt with work off a monthly basis, not an over all project cost.
That makes it even harder if you have to come up with $5k every month for a few months. Rather than one big chunk in 6 months.

Your best bet is to find a local car/truck group. Maybe join one on facebook if you have it. Stark asking. Hopefully you will get 10 different opinions and you can investigate each one yourself.
Keep an open mind too. You usually have great bodywork guys but they can't do mechanics.
Or you have great mechanics that can't do body work.

So you might be looking for 2 shops.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Diesel57,
Welcome to our Bronco community!
Ford Bronco Restoration @ www.buildabronco.com

Maxlider Brothers Customs @ https://inventory.maxliderbros.com › ...
1966 Ford Bronco

Classic Ford Broncos @ https://classicfordbroncos.com
Early Bronco Restoration @ https://www.earlyfordbroncos.com/

Velocity Restorations @ https://www.velocityrestorations.com/restorations/classic-ford-broncos/1966-early-ford-bronco/

Classic Ford Broncos @

I'm having internet issues, so search for "1966 Ford Bronco Restoration"

Good fortune friend!
Al

Motech

Reaction score
Costs will vary wildly depending on your direction, ie; basic functional revival, full-on factory restoration or badazz resto-mod.

One things certain though: BIG bucks. Even the first option alone--functional revival--can easily climb over the ten-digit mark paying someone else, with the sky and your wallet the only barriers to cost beyond that.

I have had the privilege to be involved in three Gen 1 Bronco projects. One was in an advisor basis with another shop, but the other two--a 67 and 69--were decent examples in fairly good, modified condition already when brought to me.

One man knew exactly what he wanted and directed me in his vision. He spent $15K with me and probably double that prior in acquisition and foundational buildup.

The other was opposite. He brought me a 67 for pre-purchase inspection. Was a solid example with good start on engine and chassis mods, but not fit for the road yet, on or off. He was buying it for a gift to his daughter in her high school junior year.

That aligns perfectly with my professional context in pre-purchase inspections:

"What will it take to make this vehicle safe enough for me to hand my teenaged daughter the keys to drive it to LA and back?"

He loved that.

Inspection results: $7K to meet that objective, but she's probably not going to like it as her first car.

He took report to seller, seller knocked $7K off his $14K asking price, and buyer brought it straight to me with a $3K deposit.

This is getting to be a long story, so in brevity:
  • Daughter rejected it, but younger trophy wife wiggled and danced on it
  • Spent $11K that first, 45 day visit
  • Spent another $16K round 2
  • He's now got a total of about $40K invested
  • He began with a good looking driver easily $15K ahead of your current condition
This man is a real estate developer with millions in local holdings.

You too need to be in financially comfortable shoes to justify costs.

I have a 66 Bronco that belonged to my Dad and was purchased in 66 by my Grandfather.

With a personal attachment running this deep, it might be tough to let it go.

Consider other family. Siblings or cousins with sentimental attachments? Even 8f you don't care, someone else might.

I don’t have the time to put into restore myself.

Next question is, if you did have the time, do you have the skills, experience, facility, equipment and family support? Because what you will save in $$ doing it yourself you will spend in time, tools, and relationship when you marry that truck.

And that's perhaps the best reason to pay a pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane