Transmission fluid help 89 bronco 4spd man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjonesjr1

Reaction score
Hello new to the form hope I can get some help here so I have a 89 bronco with a 302 And four speed manual transmission and I was confused on which transmission fluid to use my Haynes manual said use 80w But all the parts shops in my area tell me to use mercon I also called two transmission shops and they told me to use mercon I’ve been searching on the forms and I feel like I’m getting mixed information Any help would be appreciated

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo gjonesjr1,
A belated Welcome!
Sorry for the delay.
89-options.jpg
Are you referring to the Mazda M5OD 5 speed manual transmission?
If so, Motorcraft® MERCON® V is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company

"The risk of using cheap generic ATF isn't worth the meager savings over genuine MotorCraft Mercon. Shop ebay, Amazon, RockAuto, O'Reilly, PartsPlus, your local Ford dealer, etc. for the best prices" by Steve

If not, look at the label on the B pillar next to the driver's side door. There is a code for the transmission, along with other codes.
Post code here.

Here are the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Haynes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

See1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, if its a Borg warner t18 or t19 or new process (those were the 4 speed manuals offered in that time period) than they take 80w90, though the weight of gear oil can change based off hot or cold climate use. If its a Mazda m5od manual (the 5 speed) than it takes automatic tranny fluid. Check b pillar codes to verify or check out the manuals posted As per what miesk said. if its a 4 speed manual, and not a 5 it takes gear oil. Look up pictures of the Borg warner t18/19. The shifter and gearcase itself are pretty distinguishable. I'd dump some Lucas oil in it too, IMO. The 4 speeds usually take three bottles of gear oil. Fill it till it spills out the fill plug.

chrlsful

Reaction score
every owner (even if nota wrencher) deserves a manual. Either a fairly useless one that was standard w/ur vehicle back in the day (C net: fleebay, etc) as it will have basic info like this or the nxt level up: Chiltons or Haynes (by Y/M/M). These can guide beginners, intermediate and on somethings, even the experienced mechanic. Cheep, in the auto big bx stores (we have them @ AutoZone) they can help alot. I've gone the nxt step as I hang at a friends garage (he has specialty tools, 2 lifts, mig/tig, etc) the ford shop manual (expensive). Today we use cell phone pic capacity & email to commercial suppliers who get ona puter for exploded views and sourcing or explanations/ID/guidance. Its a different world w/puters (if U have the relationships to tap on the shoulder).

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hello new to the form hope I can get some help here so I have a 89 bronco with a 302 And four speed manual transmission and I was confused on which transmission fluid to use my Haynes manual said use 80w But all the parts shops in my area tell me to use mercon I also called two transmission shops and they told me to use mercon I’ve been searching on the forms and I feel like I’m getting mixed information Any help would be appreciated
I was gonna rebuild a Toyota motor for a friend one time and he hand me a Haynes manual to look at. I read the assembly and told him if anyone went buy THAT book.The motor would not last 5 minutes. He said it was written by educated experts. So I told him . Where in their does it tell about putting the oil pump in . It DOESN,T. The EDUCATED EXPERTS ARE WRONG. My boss laughed and he told this other guy. Butch is right. The EDUCATED EXPERTS ARE WRONG. Books do make mistakes too. Talk to people who work on them .Mike is right and the garages are too.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo