Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTFord

Reaction score
after i got done crying i figured i'd try and replace the transmission. My old one just went out.. it'll go into first, reverse, park, and neutral but will not shift into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. it's an automatic w/ overdrive. ONLY problem is.. I don't know whether it is a C-6, E4OD, or AOD. I have an 88' Bronco FS w/ automatic transmission. I don't have the original book that came with the truck. I don't think that it is a C-6 but I don't know which of the other two it is.. anyway to tell without the owners manual? I have an alt. tranny which is an E4OD out of a 93' fs bronco.. but i rolled it and it burnt the housing up on it but the internals are still good. I just need to know if my tranny out of the 88 is a E4OD so i can put my internals into it's housing. Thanks any help is GREATLY appreciated.

OP
OP
G

GTFord

Reaction score
ahh and btw i believe the reason it won't shift is because of the "rear drum" the one that controls gears after 1st. At first i thought it may be some sort of valve stuck so i added Trans-X and it still did nothing for it.. well figured i'd throw that in

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
I don't think it will be a C6 as I have never heard of anything other than a 3 speed C6 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for the other trannys.. I have no idea if any or all of the parts would interchange or not.

Best bet may be to just have a shop rebuild the one you have.

Windchaser

Reaction score
My 88 EB had a AOD before I switched to my 460 and put in the C6...I would bet that is what you have...AOD.

G

my tranny slips real bad. i have 87 w/ aod. and was wondering how tough the aod is. if not that tough, then wich tranny would be good to beat the crap out of?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
GTFord, you can look at the tranny code on the door jamb, or crawl underneath the Bronco and look at the shape of the pan. The E4OD has a notch in one corner, like the C-6 does. The AOD is somewhat square, no notches. It is likely that you have the AOD in a 87-89 Bronco.

CBD, the C-6 is a tougher automatic ttranny, but does not have overdrive (OD). The later-model E4OD after 1992 is a better tranny than the AOD or the earlier-model E4OD ones.

OP
OP
G

GTFord

Reaction score
thanks guys i guess i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt.. although i'd rather a newer e4od but i can't put it on my truck i think.. but i have a borgwarner tcase and a 302

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
GTF, if you are going to get the E4OD rebuilt, see if you can upgrade to the newer-model parts. I know a few folks that have had to pay about $2500 for the job, so you might as well get the best out of it.

B

Big Baldo

Hi Guy I got a 1990 bronco that I went through the tranny stuff the new trans are better for sure but your 88 has the aod I had my e40d rebuilt by art carr raceing trans it ran me about 4,000 three years ago it was the best thing I ever did it now shifts like a trans should no more shifting out of passing gear just as power starts to build I also rebuilt my engine at the same time and art carr set the shift pattern to the cam specs lets just say it was money well spent ..the truck does the 1/4 mi in 16.03 not to bad for a daily driver.........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23