Tranny Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streamborn

Reaction score
I own a 83 F-150 4x4 with a manual 3-speed W/OD. I get noise in all gears, however, when I hit OD it howls in the most annoying way. Is this the nature of the beast? If not; I would really appreciate some input on what to replace it with. I really like my truck and would rather fix it than spend 30 grand on a new one! thanks. streamborn in AZ. B)

Raven

Reaction score
It have fresh fluid in it? is it full of fluid? does it have the right fluid in it?

OP
OP
S

streamborn

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, yes it has the right fluid in it, I consulted the manual, I still have the original one, purchased the right stuff and added a little bit ( it didn't need much ). I recently swapped the original 300 in-line for a 302, so I'm not afraid to work on it.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Streamborn,

You say you recently swapped a new motor into your truck...

Was the noise present before the engine swap?

If it wasn't there, are you sure that the pilot bearing/bushing you used was the correct size for both the trans input, and for the crankshaft?

Another consideration is did your bell housing line up to the engine correctly, or did the trans bolt up to the bellhousing correctly? (called "bore alignment", and "bore run out" as well as "housing face squareness"

Sounds complicated, but they are all just terms about the "squareness" and the centering of the bell housing and the trans case in relation to the machined surface of the block and flywheel.

Raven

Reaction score
when ya did the swap you use the flywhell off the 300 or you get a new one for the 302? Did you change the fluidin the trans or is it still the original stuff in there? a good drain and fill always helps some Fast lubes will do it for 25- 30 bucks and will run some straigh through to flush out everything .. if you do it yourself it is not a bad Idea to do.

OP
OP
S

streamborn

Reaction score
:)>- WOW! I really appreciate all the help! I think I will start with changing the fluid, but the trans made the same noise w/ the six. the motor I took out had 300+K on it so the trans might be just purely worn out! Everything seemed to fit just fine when I swapped the motor but alignment is a valid concern. I had to replace the flywheel, with a new one (not cheap!) since I had no core. I did notice that the input shaft housing ( where the throw-out bearing rides) was badly worn and in need of replacement. If I replace the trans, does anyone have any input on what would be best to replace it with? I want to replace it before I change the gearing, as the present gearing seems to be a little tall for the V-8 Thanks, Streamborn in Az.

Raven

Reaction score
yea with that many miles I am sure that everything is due to be refreshed. any fluids will break down and have to be replaced over tim( trans, transfer, diffs) check to see what your dealer recommend on intervals for them.

I have known a few that put a auto in instead of the standard and a few that have put a 5 speed in them from an later model truck. I would of had several sources that I knew had some sitting around but the townshipp came in and made them "clean up" the place

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
streamborn, although it sounds most like a bad pilot/throwout bearing, you may also have an internal problem with the OD gear. I think either the SROD or TOD 3-speed tranny is what you have, might look for info on common problems with those or do a Google search. 300K miles sounds like time for a rebuild, too. If you don't mind not having OD, a T-18 or NP435 would be beefier/stronger than your model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23