TPS Sensor Why, Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
I knew I should have become a rocket scientist, but NOoo.šŸ¤”
So Iā€™ve got my new BBK throttle body, my Bronco book says and Bronco Forum says the pigtail should face IAC value. Except thatā€™s not the way the old TB has it facing, so I figured Iā€™d check the internet for grins and what do I get? Two different videos and two different pigtail alignments as the old throttle body was removed. This is why I prefer to work on Class 6-8 trucks, over the road coaches (MCIs) and Harley Davidsons!šŸ˜ŽšŸ§°.

My mechanic instinct says follow the book, however in the field it would go back the way it came off facing the coolant pipe. I donā€™t think the direction matters, but I did like the book. Takes longer as I still got the gas bubble in my eye from the retina detachmentšŸ‘€ ā˜•ļøā˜•ļøTime

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I knew I should have become a rocket scientist, but NOoo.šŸ¤”
So Iā€™ve got my new BBK throttle body, my Bronco book says and Bronco Forum says the pigtail should face IAC value. Except thatā€™s not the way the old TB has it facing, so I figured Iā€™d check the internet for grins and what do I get? Two different videos and two different pigtail alignments as the old throttle body was removed. This is why I prefer to work on Class 6-8 trucks, over the road coaches (MCIs) and Harley Davidsons!šŸ˜ŽšŸ§°.

My mechanic instinct says follow the book, however in the field it would go back the way it came off facing the coolant pipe. I donā€™t think the direction matters, but I did like the book. Takes longer as I still got the gas bubble in my eye from the retina detachmentšŸ‘€ ā˜•ļøā˜•ļøTime
Sorry to hear about your eye. Hope soon your well and feel better.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your eye. Hope soon your well and feel better.
Thank you sir, hopefully the bubble will gone next week,6 is about the max Iā€™m told. It made todayā€™s adventure a bit longer and I cat ride until it gone either

Sheā€™s definitely idling smoother. The BBK had a slight seep at the Top coolant tube & body. But it seems to have stopped once it got to operating temperature. When I was reviewing them there was talk about the tube positions and angles. Top is a 90, but the bottom is a 45, seems like it would work better as a 90 and run parallel to the intake. The hose fits but is up against the alternator, but I added a rub layer. Throttle body is the shiniest part in the engine bay. Except for my blue tape repair.

Attachments

• 01F24D9D-84A7-4C99-85A5-8029A19CB2C8.jpeg
    01F24D9D-84A7-4C99-85A5-8029A19CB2C8.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 12

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you sir, hopefully the bubble will gone next week,6 is about the max Iā€™m told. It made todayā€™s adventure a bit longer and I cat ride until it gone either

Sheā€™s definitely idling smoother. The BBK had a slight seep at the Top coolant tube & body. But it seems to have stopped once it got to operating temperature. When I was reviewing them there was talk about the tube positions and angles. Top is a 90, but the bottom is a 45, seems like it would work better as a 90 and run parallel to the intake. The hose fits but is up against the alternator, but I added a rub layer. Throttle body is the shiniest part in the engine bay. Except for my blue tape repair.
Could you get a couple of more pictures and at different views. ? If the hose is rubbing . Maybe it is not the right hose. That might be your answer. Alot of people will to rig something to save themself money and not fix it right. You might also try looking at some pictures of the same make vehicle others might and and spot your problem.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Seep stopped once it warmed up and is fine today. My new issue is now it wonā€™t shift into 3rd

Test drove it yesterday and it was fine, the trans is going out, I believe it is the original 165-175,000. I usually have to manually shift it into second and then into drive, as it slips and downshifts hard 2-1st. Major clutch material on the magnet on the last filter changes

Prior to my test drive I had it idling with the AC one and was watching that little seep. Shut it down and went into the garage, when I returned there was a strong electrical smell by the drivers door.
While it may be a bad TPS keeping it from shifting into 3rd, is it possible to smoke part of the PCM and the truck still starT? I donā€™t believe so, but it would actually be faster to pull the pcm as the inner fender is not attached (previous owners)

Thankfully I work from home permanently now as corporate decided to close our location and I went to the store yesterday morning.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Is that the correct hose on it? Maybe the original hose has a slight curve in it to keep it away from the alternator. It shouldn,y be rubbing even if you did put the extra rubber on it. Evantually and not long it will be causing you trouble again. Check on a new hose and look at it carefully for a curve to keep it away from the alternator.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Update - I must have lied about my test drive, now that I think about, i never tried 3rd. Pulled the BBK throttle body back off measured the ohms on the old TPS and the new one still on the TB, way off! Loosened the screws still not much change. Granted I did not buy a Motorcraft, but I had to enlarge the holes quite a bit before it would return far enough to get the correct reading. I even held the old (Ford I believe?)one up to the the BBK and I would have had to do about the same thing to it. I used 2 bits bigger then the original mount holes on the TPS and then filed it a little more before I could mount it and get a correct reading. Even if you are gonna change just the TPS measure the ohms, save yourself some time.

Iā€™m going to touch base with them, curious how that tab on the that rod is made/mounted, if they ever had any issues? But she idles so smooth now and shifts so nice! I like the BBK product, I went with the 61mm.

The trans is still going to need attention eventually, but sheā€™s back to her old self, but better! Now I can officially put a couple of the stickers on heršŸ˜Ž

Last edited:
OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Is that the correct hose on it? Maybe the original hose has a slight curve in it to keep it away from the alternator. It shouldn,y be rubbing even if you did put the extra rubber on it. Evantually and not long it will be causing you trouble again. Check on a new hose and look at it carefully for a curve to keep it away from the alternator.
Sorry just saw this, no my throttle body has two 90 degree coolant tubes, I replaced all the hoses when I bought it years ago. Even if they turned the 45 more parallel to the intakes on mine it would be better. But like I said Iā€™m not sure how many different ways or versions Ford may have made? So for a one size fits all product Iā€™m okay with it. Iā€™ll just keep an eye on my Insulation addition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571