Nomenclature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumped

Reaction score
Do the acronyms TFI, ICM, and crank position sensor mean the same thing? It appears so... why do we need some many names for the same thing? After months of trying to find the correct one for a 96, 302 I will call it the HAHTFCM, which means "hard as **** to find correct module." Ford has this to say about this module...

"The attached following Ford Motor Company report describes how the two different colored ICM's operate differently but does not tell you how to identify which colored ICM you should have. And apparently there is some confusion with even Ford techs on this issue during the transition years '93-'96."

No kidding !!!!! Please add my acronym to the above acronyms so as to keep the confusion going....

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the TFI and ICM are the same. There really is not crank sensor, but the PIP sensor inside the distributor acts as a cam sensor.

Yes it is totally confusing, like OBD vs EEC
Or ECM and PCM.

I usually just try to match the terminology of who I am talking to. You get Chevy guys and dodge guys and Ford guys talking they all use different names for the same part.

Motech

Reaction score
Among all of the various acronyms and confusing terminology, it really is pretty basic:

Due to EPA requirements, Ford had to modify how their operating systems functioned, specifically ignition and sequential injection controls.

They needed a system that gave sovereign authority over coil triggering, dwell and timing controls to a module outside the PCM so they developed a new ignition module to accomplish this.

So basically,Ford had two type of remote Thick Film Ignition Module equipped distributor engines:

1. Spark controls are managed by the main computer
2. Spark controls are managed by the ignition control module

On Windsor V8 engines (5.0 and 5.8) the biggest difference we can spot is at the distributor. TFI module spark control engines do not allow adjustable timing and have fixed, unadjustable distributors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno