Timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
what are the signs of it failing? or starting to fail?
yo

No start condition (but starter turns engine over)

runs badly

Noise

overheating

erratic idle

backfiring - has caused the engine to "jump time", meaning that the timing chain is worn sufficiently and the alignment of the components is too far removed from the correct synchronization that you will never be able to get the timing set correctly w/o first repairing the timing chain/gears. (by B C)

connect a timing light and watch the timing mark. if the mark is steady the chain is fine; if the mark wobbles around the chain is worn.

also, bad distr gear could be a prob.

OP
OP
keeprollling

keeprollling

Reaction score
yo
No start condition (but starter turns engine over)

runs badly

Noise

overheating

erratic idle

backfiring - has caused the engine to "jump time", meaning that the timing chain is worn sufficiently and the alignment of the components is too far removed from the correct synchronization that you will never be able to get the timing set correctly w/o first repairing the timing chain/gears. (by B C)

connect a timing light and watch the timing mark. if the mark is steady the chain is fine; if the mark wobbles around the chain is worn.

also, bad distr gear could be a prob.

I notice when climbing steep hills at around 50 to 60 I hear a clinking and power loss that brings me down from 65 to 50 without down shifting. I let off the accelerator for a second and then press it again to down shift.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat