timing gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumped

Reaction score
Have read conflicting information on whether the 96 Bronco 302 has a nylon timing gear. I have one with 125K on it. A friend said he had one and it stripped and had to be towed. Others say they are metal and to leave them alone. Who knows? I have even heard that the gear is metal and has a nylon coating... ?? What the hay? Does anyone really have a definitive answer? Thanks, Terry

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty confident they are not nylon.
That engine should run 300k trouble free.

chrlsful

Reaction score
Y is a '96 Q in the 1st gen forum?
THAT really is "General Discussion", no?

More importantly: is either "an interfearence head"? as
losses in that kinda timing gear would B disasterious (piston/
valve joining). "No" is the 1 we look for (& get here)- Bent8
or i6~

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Have read conflicting information on whether the 96 Bronco 302 has a nylon timing gear. I have one with 125K on it. A friend said he had one and it stripped and had to be towed. Others say they are metal and to leave them alone. Who knows? I have even heard that the gear is metal and has a nylon coating... ?? What the hay? Does anyone really have a definitive answer? Thanks, Terry
According to the FORD parts site below, it SHOULD be an all-metal one. (part# F4TZ-6256-B)

But nothing is certain, and nylon-toothed gears were used on a LOT of 302 engines over the years. Do you know positively if that's the original engine, or if its been worked on? If you want to be sure what you have, the only way is to go in and look.

The nylon ones are quieter once the chain starts to stretch, often wear less than metal ones, and are more forgiving of a less-than-ideal oil supply, but can suffer embrittlement from age and chemical exposure, which can lead to catastrophic failure as your friend mentioned.
Yours has 26 years on it if original....

More info if you care to read on.

Both the nylon and all metal gears will work perfectly fine for extended periods of time, and they WERE both used on the same engines, at different times, depending on intended use. HOWEVER, if there happened to be a parts delay at the engine building facility the "wrong" one for your year COULD be in there from the factory. OR someone ahead of you may have swapped in an aftermarket gear set.

Ford also used a funky-looking timing chain with the inner side "open" on a lot of engines for a lot of years with BOTH the nylon tooth cam gear and the all metal one.

(I remember seeing a nylon tooth cam gear as far back as the early 70's- on a 1967 289 engine that I had to replace with a rebuilt short block.)

If this was mine and I was going in the engine to look, and I found the nylon-tooth cam gear in there, no matter how good the parts looked, I'd opt to swap in a double roller-type chain and all-metal gears, and put in a new water pump at the same time.

SOME chain sets (like those on the 1996 Bronco 5.0L page below) have a crank gear with 3 keyways so timing can be advanced or delayed by a few degrees between the cam and crank, LUCKILY 302/5.0L parts are readily available and usually inexpensive (depending on where you buy).
This is, unless you opt for extreme performance parts.
With enough in the budget you could even go with a gear to gear setup, with no chain to stretch.

Last edited:

Motech

Reaction score
Have read conflicting information on whether the 96 Bronco 302 has a nylon timing gear.

Be stumped no more. SBF roller mills never had nylon gear teeth.
In fact, I believe Ford ditched them in the seventies for all the Windsor blocks. (Chevy went on til early-mid eighties)

According to the FORD parts site below, it SHOULD be an all-metal one. (part# F4TZ-6256-B)

Even when they did come nylon, you could only get all metal replacements, even from factory/dealers.

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Be stumped no more. SBF roller mills never had nylon gear teeth.
In fact, I believe Ford ditched them in the seventies for all the Windsor blocks. (Chevy went on til early-mid eighties)

Even when they did come nylon, you could only get all metal replacements, even from factory/dealers.
thanks for the info. The part referred to shows discontinued by Ford. Guess its aftermarket?

Motech

Reaction score
The part referred to shows discontinued by Ford. Guess its aftermarket?
Yeah. Even when they were still producing Windsors--what 16 years ago?--the dealers weren't doing many timing chains, and the cost of a good aftermarket set of chain and gears is less than the Ford chain by itself.

You can't go wrong with up-spec Cloyes or Sealed Power brands. Just don't get the cheapo $25.00 kits. Go up a notch to the $50.00 to $80.00 true roller set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571