tie rod UNDER conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monza

Reaction score
back again...

so my front end is all whack.

the previous owner did a bunch of half changes which i now have to undo to fix my rigs crab like disposition.

heres the question:

Can i take the tie rod over conversion he did and flip it back under the knuckle to the stock position - or will that not work ?

i spoke to WH and they said - "if it still has the taper, you should just be able to flip it all back under..."

but i dont know what 'the taper' is, and whether it will still be there after the tie rod over conversion.

so i know pretty much everyone here has a tie rod over - so tell me - can i just flip it back or not.

thx,

monza.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
The answer you got from WH is correct. The "taper" is in the knuckle arm, for lack of a better term, that the tie rods sit in. Most tie rod over conversions drill out those arms so that they can have a regular bolt go through. If you look at the "TRO" and "TRA" kits from BC you can see what the taper they are talking about is. The original tie rods are a taper fit into the knuckle arm and drilling them out makes them just a basic spacer for lifting it out of harms way. BUT, you can do the TRA/TRO kit from BC and also should be able to go back to original as well if the taper has been drilled out.

OP
OP
monza

monza

Reaction score
thx dude,

its always worse undoing a knot that somebody else tied.

btw,

whats the best jacking strategy for front end ?

do u just bottle jack the axles then put stands under the frame rails ?

or are there any hi lift scissor jacks out there i can use ?

i havent found either a bottle or scissor that would reach my frame rails - so i guess i have to put the jack up on a block first ?????

i have the hi lift side jack - but thats a scary piece of equipment - for everyday use.

thx,

Monza.

JLasvegas

Reaction score
besides ground clearance, whats the reason for over the knuckle tie rod installation?

steering geometry?

is this something that is simple to do?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
JLV...

" reason for over the knuckle tie rod installation?"

Yep..., just to get it up & out of the way.

"btw,

whats the best jacking strategy for front end ?"

Monza..., there's no load on that steering system.., so setting the axle tubes on the jack-stands. That will give you room to work under there.

But.., you can actually do that (tie rod) with the wheels on the ground.

Did you look it over carefully..? that's a good set-up when done correctly. Possible it's (sloppy) something else in the steering system. (like track-bar bushings, drop bracket, etc.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco