This one's for Broncbill78!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadkill

Reaction score
DAMN Boy, we've got some $hit in common <grin>. I think I was 14-15 when my Old Man bought ours for Ma. That Eagle was the first thing I ever took 4-wheeling because I didn't have aything else & BOY did they holler when it came home covered with cow $hit. Say what you want about AMC but that car/truck/whatever took one **** of a beating from me. Glad to see someone else remembers it (and I'm even MORE glad to not feel *quite* so old). He beat my a$$ for bringing it home all covered with $hit like that, and this was back in the day before they frowned upon beating kids in that fashion. Taught me right up front, you gotta pay if you wanna play. Ours was an 84' Wagon. I always thought it could do better if you could have figured a way to lift it for 33's. But ****, **** Cepeck was the only game in town back then :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Not trying to 'jack the thread, just reliving the Old Days <G>
Hey bud,

I'm starting a new thread with this so we won't completely jack the oil-filter thread :)>- . Check out this video from Youtube.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Oh Man, That's just ******* outstanding !!! I only wish it had been a wagon.

Great videos.

I wish to God I had video of my very first foray into the world of 4-wheeling. We took that damn Eagle out into a big ole'pasture near the house and ran it nearly to death doing power-slides and such. Came home proud as can be at 3am with it all covered in mud and went to bed. Wasn't until the sun came up the next day & it started to get warm before we realized it wasn't mud at all but cow $hit instead. Real freaking downer.

Truth be told I actually prefered the long wheelbase wagons to the SX4's but either way you have to admit AMC was in front of the curve on that one. Who'd a thunk you could have actually done something with that Concord body ? If only they'd merged with Jeep a few years earlier.

I think I must have had to replace that damn valve cover gasket pretty much *every* time we took it out & screwed around. I think it blew every time you revved it above 4K <grin> ******* thing was worse than a governor, if the damn engine was spewing oil then the Old Man knew I'd been driving it. Really put a crimp in my $hit until I got my license.

Good call, I was feeling guilty about 'jacking that thread too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Reaction score
That's the first time I have seen that done to a Gremlin. (bottom left photo above)

Our AMC also went through valve cover gaskets. Never blew one outright, but they were constantly developing leaks. It also liked to grow a lot of vacum leaks and the EGR valve would stick open and cause it not to idle very well. Other than those issues it was a very strong running car. The EGR leak was only a problem at idle, wide open throttle it worked just fine. And at 15 years (back then you could get a liscense at 15 in NM, don't know if you still can) I spent most of my time with either the gas pedal or the brake mashed to the floor.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, it seemed like every time you drove the damn thing over 60 the valve cover would start to leak. We'd take it off, clean everyting up & either install a new one (musta had 5 of the things hanging on a nail in the garage) or just give both sides a smear of silicone & reinstall. Next time you pushed it to 60 it would start leaking again. Like freaking clockwork. You know I never figured out what the damn problem with that engine & vacuum leaks was. I mean if was a freaking 258 for Christ sake, they'd been around & reliable since dinasours were making oil. Why the **** the ones AMC bought were $hit I'll never know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23